View Single Post
Old 27-04-2008

great to see you guys on the other side of the pond looking into this as well.

I managed to pic up an already converted Mugen MBX5 to run. Its setup as it came to me was:

- Mamba Max ESC modified to use external BEC, Holes in casing, and Fan
- Neu 1512 2.5D motor 2050Kv motor
- Maxamps 6000mah 4S 14.8V pack
- RC Product Designs Conversion
- Hot Bodies Center Diff (to mount with conversion spur gear)

With this setup, I was able to get alittle better than 20 minutes of Hard running on the car. Setups that would be used for nitro worked well on the vehicle.

Prior to selling the vehicle (going with an RC8 to convert now) I changed out the battery with a PolyRC Enerland cell based 4900mah 4S battery pack. This is a 25C battery that I believe uses the same cells as the trakpower 4900mah pack . Also nice that RC Lipos the distributor for it has free worldwide shipping.

Anyway, with this lipo, which is much lighter than the maxamps, I was able to do between 15 - 22 minutes of runtime, depending on gearing and wheel slippage.

Since that time, New developments have occured. The Castle Creations Mamba Monster ESC is on the way that allows up to 6S use, and uses the same software that took away the cogging on the Mamba Max ESC we experienced with the Neu motors. With a 6S setup using lighter and lower mah cells, electronics will run cooler and you can use lower KV motors to get the same performance. Also, you get longer runtimes relative to this.

Novak is also releasing there own line of conversions for the various vehicles. Albeit, the 1/10 scale trays are used.

RC Product Designs makes conversions that are bolt in, and allow usage of the longer 160mm packs based on Enerland cells.

The performance of 1/8 scale brushless is simply amazing. With the way our tracks are out here in the USA, I think this will probably be where people gravitate towards.

As for costs, TonyScrews made a nice little chart, and the costs after common items you need fuel, etc for a nitro the prices were pretty close.

With the new Castle Creations Mamba Monster ESC and future motor combo being priced at $300, this will drop costs significantly where 1/8 scale electric buggies will be cheaper than nitro counterparts, especially as you don't need to rebuy fuel and only in reality need 1 battery with a X number of Heats, 1 main format (say 5 - 10 minute heats, 15 - 20 minute main).

Attached is a pic of my conversion when it came in for the MBX5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mbx52.jpg (59.1 KB, 100 views)