Thread: SCT Future
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Racer View Post
I think what I can't get my head around is by how much things have changed since i used to do the truck nationals in the mid to late 90's (in the days when they were what we now call Stadium Trucks). They were fun meetings with drivers of all abilities BUT the general driving standard was a lot higher than nowadays...maybe it's just the modern brushless motors that are too quick for people now?
I think it's because SC trucks encourage contact, whereas anything with open wheels obviously doesn't. It doesn't necessarily attract dirtier drivers, but some can take it too far and some can misjudge.

Contact is a difficult thing. The only way you can get clear-cut rules is by banning all contact... which isn't going to work out. Everyone will have a different view of what's deliberate and what's accidental, and a different view of the line between a simple rub and a something a lot more malicious. You can't police it perfectly. Someone will always either feel hard done by or will be appealing a penalty, but that's just something that's unavoidable in a racing environment. Even the most relaxed guys will get emotional if things don't go their way, especially if another driver helps them along a bit - but a bit of self-control can go a long way to minimise the occurrence of such incidents.