View Single Post
Old 18-02-2016

Having been in the buggy game for over 30 years I have seen many things..
Various clubs in the area have come and gone. I was heavily involved in the rise of Aire Valley club ( but fortunately not its ultimate demise ).
We faced a similar decision (but about the outdoor track ) in the late eighties.
We had to move from Yarnbury Rugby club and we're looking at options for venues to ultimately build a dirt track. We had several meetings with a local , Otley, business man who ran a number of leisure activities including an off road go-cart track. He offered to build us a track on his land and rent it back to us.
After much discussion, we decided to remain under our own control, rented the Apperley Bridge land from Bradford Council and subsequently became one of the most successful clubs, even bidding to hold the 1993 World Championships.
Well before then, the Otley business man had gone out of business..!!
I have a great affection for Batley club having raced there from the Hare and Hounds/ Batley sports centre days and always , lately, been grateful that the club has continued... One of Batleys main strengths, I believe, is that it has always been in the same area and, indeed, at only a couple of venues both indoor and out for 35 years or so.
I just worry...
I am sure that the MB track will be excellent and a whole new experience..its just that, for quite a lot of us, it will be some extra distance to travel...and no longer Batley..!
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds