View Single Post
Old 29-01-2013

Default Ti Coated Suspension Shafts?

Hi experts and racers... can I tap into your experience again?

After a few packs... perhaps 5, I need to clean my suspension shafts because they "gunk" up a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's not a real "problem" but it certainly impacts efficiency a tiny bit. I can feel the extra resistance (manifesting as inconsistent lower arm swing) over the actual shock resistance when I articulate the suspension on the work bench.

After careful inspection this "gunk" does create micro wear on the stainless shafts as well, resulting in some (micro) pitting. The pitting exacerbates the issue. The shafts are all still perfectly straight.

Has anybody run the Ti coated versions? Care to share your experience?

I'm pretty sure they'll address the pitting, stopping the problem from exacerbating but are they likely to fix the "gunk" buildup problem at all? Are they more "slippery" or less prone to "retaining" grime?

I realise this is in the margins but I'm not really looking for performance gains, rather maintenance reduction. Having said that, removing and wiping the shafts is not a problem but it would be nice to forget about them and relegate them to my '3 month overhaul' cycle rather than my constant 'watch and maintain' cycle.

Thoughts? Snake oil?

Edit & for reference:

53851 - 3x46mm Titanium Coated Suspension Shafts (2 Pcs.)
54388 - 3x48.5mm Titanium Coated Suspension Shaft (2 Pcs.)
54387 - 2.6x27mm Titanium Coated Suspension Shaft (2 Pcs.)