View Single Post
Old 21-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman Ed View Post
1) The reality is that Ribble has a Mardave section, and thus it is effectivelty an on-road track. That's why treated foams will give an advantage - those of us who go back far enough have experienced that many times. Either foams are disqualified or most people will be on them. Yes it's racing for fun, but racers like to compete! Also with the amount of additive going on the carpet recently i've seen more cars grip roling and behaving in a more unpredictable manner.
2) The issue regarding running 2wd and 4wd together is clear cut in my view. I don't know any other club that does it. It forces the competitive drivers to run 4wd; that's why Ribble has so many 4wd entries. Every other club I know has more 2wd entries because they can compete on a level playing field. A couple of top drivers moaning about mixed abilities and lapping slower cars - tough - if your that good it shouldn't be a problem to you? But seriously, the classes are different and they should be separated. I'll guarantee more people will then drive 2wd. I went to Southport on Sunday - indoor track - mixed abilities - 7 heats - only one 4wd!!!
Hi Ed, not sure who you are but I am Eric the chairman of Ribble and I would just like to have my say on what the club has tried to do to accomodate different classes of racing.

1. Tried a control tyre for buggies - Racers did not like it.

2. Segregated 2wd and 4wd (when the numbers were less than we have now) - Racers said the beginers got in the way.

3. The number of racers at Ribble has increased over the last 18 months to between 65 and 75 on a Friday night, we must be doing something right.

4. Because of the numbers of racers we are limited to the number of races we can have during our limited time slot at wellfield - 3 hours or 180 minutes 7 heats 4mins + 2 mins gap * 4 rounds = 42*4 = 168 + 10 mins to set up finals = 178 mins.
It is very tight to organise a race meeting with the restriction of a 3 hour time slot . Many other clubs do not have this restriction along with the fact we have to put the track out and back away before we can go home.

5. If the majority of Buggy racers want to ban foams I have not got a problem with that.

6. If the majority of Buggy racers want to split 2wd and 4wd I have got a problem with that because we would have to limit the number of buggy racers to about 30 which would mean turning away between 20 and 30 racers on current numbers.

If anyone has some good ideas bearing in mind our current facilities and time constraints please feel free to let your representative on the committee know -for Buggies contact Shaun Reeve and for GT12 contact Kevin Appleby or contact any committee member.

Regards
Eric