View Single Post
Old 21-01-2013

Yes please if anyone has any views towards or against the running of tyres / additive etc then feel free to come and chat to me about it.

As Eric has mentioned over the last 3 years the club has tried to accommodate every eventuality. At the end of the day the club exists to serve the racers. It's run by the committee and they're individuals who have put there time and effort aside to run the Friday nights. But saying that all they want to do is listen to the general consensus and adapt to how the member feel that the club should be best run.

Those individuals, most who have been involved with the club since before I was even racing, have a wealth of experience in running it and the ideas that have/ have not been tried and tested. They’re more than happy to voice there opinions if you’ve got a suggestion, and if we all think it’ll help then we’ll be sure to give it a go and listen to feedback.

As for the tyre debate then I have had the opportunity to run and try both in recent weeks. Whilst foams provide much more traction they’re also quite edgy and can potentially cause more accidents, however I don’t think this is the main reason. When I’ve been running my car it goes roughly 0.5-0.7 seconds a lap quicker on foams with additive over mini pins.

Additive works by softening the outer layer of the tyre, essentially as softer shore rating (compound). This helps as it generates more traction whilst keeping the rest of the tyre stiff and stable.

Ban the additive and people will just go out and buy softer foams, these inevitably will wear quicker, thus increasing cost and time. They have more chance of chunking (large sections of the tyre coming loose), making them again more expensive. Lastly the actual tyre will have more chance of folding making the car less predictable and increasing the chance of accidents. And remember it can be an accident coming round a corner and loosing grip when overtaking. Making a bad race for more than just 1 person.

It's a hard one to call but at the end of the day it's not us that has to make the decision, it's you the members.