View Single Post
Old 29-10-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Terry, I never have worked out how the Tamiya club site works.....

G
The site has both free and paying members. Free membership gives 5% discount off Tamiya spares, unfortunately only official parts so no 501X spares. Paying membership gives you a showroom to upload your own pictures and videos, a 10% discount on Tamiya spares(it used to include a 10% discount at Modelsport!) and a separate image hosting service. The site only started charging after it was costing the owner £200 a month in bandwidth fees. It's now so big it has had to buy it's own 2 dedicated servers to run on.

It used to be easier to get around, but it's so big now (22000 members, 45000 showroom entries!) it can be awkward to find anything at first. A search box on the front page would help. Go to 'search' in the 'members' menu at the top of the page, type in the name of a car and all examples on the site should pop up. To see what everyone is selling/wanting go to the 'subscriber trades' in the members section on the top menu. The 'reference' menu takes you to specific Tamiya cars or any other make - a pity the other makes aren't separated out by model, that's why it's easier just to search for specific cars. The 'vintage media' section in the 'reference' menu has various old reviews, adverts and videos, not just Tamiyas.

Blimey, I sound like a salesman

BTW here's Jimmys old showroom on there
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=17

And mine is the link below.