View Single Post
Old 25-02-2017

Next instalment.
i got the chance to make another attempt at the extended rear lay shaft and this time it all went smoothly yay !
The shaft is over long right now but can be shortened to the correct length when i decide where the chain will run . The extended end for the sprocket has to be 4mm as that's the internal size of the bearing in the gearbox , the internal diameter of the sprocket is 6mm so I had to make a sleeve to fit between , the shaft may have to extend further than i'd like from the gearbox and if that's the way I go then I'll make up a support with a bearing in that can be secured to the side of the gearbox with either the diff cover plate screws or the motor support screws , again i might find a way to have it flush with the side of the gearbox ,in witch case i can shorted the shaft and sleeve .
You might notice if you have a keen eye that there's no groove to fit the circlip that retains the shaft on the motor side of the gearbox , this function will be performed by the sleeve that goes between the shaft and sprocket , the sleeve is extended to butt up against the bearing in the gearbox , i did this because in was worried that a 4mm shaft extended that far might bend and having a groove cut into it would further reduce the diameter , the sleeve also helps to support the shaft and prevent it flexing .