Thread: new amb system
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013

Hi All

I've said this before, but i'll say it again - you're thinking as RC Car racers, i.e. you're thinking that what we do is the deciding factor in how MyLaps goes about it's business, we're quite simply not.

The entire timing industry is Personal.

RC Car racing is a small part of the market they supply, we don't determine it, we're just a part of it.

Next bit is there ARE Alternatives.

I've been and visited them too, and it's facinating stuff, transponder is a bit bigger and a bit heavier, but arguably at least as good as MyLaps stuff and certainly the brand is much higher profile - actually has a brand 'Image' etc
But it's not cheaper.

And it's not compatible.

To Illustate:-
What you'll see if you visit MyLaps web site is a list of the sports where their product dominates and yes RC Car racing is listed.

If you go to the comptetion
You'll see a list of the sports where their product dominates and RC Car's isn't listed

The 'competition' in the industry is basically to win an entire sport (or in the case of the BIG ones a definate, clearly defined, part of it) as if you end up with Both timing manufacturers involved in one area then the poor competitor ends up having to carry two transponders all the time..

This is why you're thinking that it's a monopoly, it isn't it's just that MyLaps got RC Car Racing first and has hung onto it..
In a way that's good as the majority of the UK racers who have a PT have an Amb/MyLaps one - and hence arn't even worried about this thread what-so-ever.
Can you imagine what fun it would be if there were actually several different timing systems in use, none of which were compatible with each other..

Be carefull what you wish for..