View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzerH View Post
going way off topic here but half the moaning re the brca EB is price. Just did a quick price comparison on a schumacher mi5evo..

amain hobbies £312
schumacher uk price £380

try doing the same on some batteries.......

rip off britain
If it's such a rip-off how come model shops are closing and the ones that remain open are not owned by people with large houses, expensive cars and taking long holidays.

The US price does not include sales tax, the UK price has 20% sales tax (VAT). That's why hen you import from the US you have to pay VAT on it!! The cost of running a business is US is less than the UK including pay and business rates.

Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your good story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
Actually I think that this is an excellent comparison and it's completely relevant to this discussion. Surely buying an Mi5 directly from the manufacturer, in the country where it was made, should cost less than someone on the other side of the world buying the same thing after all shipping and import costs have been paid and the US importer, distributor and retailer have taken their cut?

The fact that MB Models (who BTW are an excellent shop) are selling them for £40 less than the people who are making the things in the 1st place is again very revealing, I mean MB must be making some money otherwise they wouldn't bother selling the kits so that means if the UK buying public buy from Schumacher directly that's an extra £40+ going straight in someone's pocket. Buying directly from the manufacturer should be cheaper than anywhere.

For me it's not the extra money but the principle. To build and race RC cars requires a good deal more intelligence than the average bloke down the pub and the industry would be wise to remember this. This is an insult to the intelligence of the buying public in this country!
An insult to my intelligence - no. My intelligence realises that the US price has no VAT on it, that the cost of running a business in the US... Just see the 'intelligent' answer above.

If you don't like the prices here buy somewhere else and then try to get any problems sorted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky14 View Post
Lipos don't just catch fire, end of. Its the user charging and discharging at stupid rates that cause problems. And also crap electrical installs. Who can honestly say that they have had a lipo fire due to charging at 1c.

And I am Richard Stain.
LiPos do just catch fire, just ask any exhibition manager at a big venue how many laptops go up on stands in a year. The Fire Officer at the NEC told us he has 'lost' three stands in the past two years by laptop fires - aka LiPo fires.

The chemistry of a LiPo means that it can grow crystals that puncture the separators and cause a short. That process is a function of the manufacturing process and the chemistry of the parts of a LiPo.

Cheap LiPos are made in factories where process control is lower than the best. It doesn't take much - a 0.005mm burr on the metal plates when being sheared, the smallest contaminant when mixing the chemicals, lack of control in pressing the plates and separators together.

The biggest cause of LiPo fires are faults in the manufacturing process, not in the charging and discharging. We can certainly make matters worse by over-volting during charging, or running them flat. But it is more often the case that just using them with those little faults built in can lead to a catastrophic failure.

Again, sorry to let facts get in the way of a good story...