View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerill View Post
As I've just posted on fb:

'This whole thread highlights the single reason why online voting would kill the BRCA overnight... So many people who don't want/have a full understanding of the reasoning behind rules would be voting. At the AGM the rules can be clearly explained, with reasoning and then everyone can make an informed decision. Uninformed voting would be dangerous...'

The EB list is there for many many good reasons. Maybe some of those reasons are a little outdated today, but who knows where we are going? The list helps in that where ever we head the foundations for a solid set of rules are in place. The list has also got us to where we are. Without the EB list there would be no Lipo rules: No sizes, no availability, no cost cap, etc. it wouldn't be unrealistic to have to buy a different Lipo for each brand of car at whatever cost the manufacturer deemed. There wouldn't be any 'cheap' ones as they'd all be different!

And yes, the list does ensure you have to buy from a UK source. Whilst some think this is the worlds worst thing, without UK shops/distributors/manufacturers, there would be no RC Hobby industry, no racing, and no thread to argue on! I don't think it's massively unreasonable to for the UK sanctioning body to support UK business so there's some UK racing.

For those that wish to see the EB list abolished, is this in it's entirety? Just certain elements of it? If so, which elements? Or just so that you can use your cheap Lipo's that aren't currently on the list?
Hi Tom, my issue isn't with the EB list for nationals, it was the proposal to allow regions to drop the EB list if it would help bolster numbers attending their regional events. It seems how and why the regional events are there and how they should run differ depending on how you look at them.

Batteries, the EB List and battery construction, the list is only there to confirm that the supplied sample meets and conforms to the construction rules laid down in the EB rules, so in there we have the maximum sizes for the batteries so that rules out the odd shaped ones etc. It also ensures that the supplier of the sample has the correct paperwork to support the application with regard to test certificates etc.

What the EB list doesn't do is stop people buying cells from overseas that are on the list, it doesn't stop many MANY different batteries being used at club etc which I think is where the danger lays.

Col, what is the fear of online voting. Anyone in the BRCA can rock up to ANY of the sections AGM/EGM and vote, you don't have to have an interest in that section. As for the Webinar, you could just stream the debate live and allow people to vote. I for one don't have the time or the funds to attend the AGM in person, but I could make the time to listen to the debate via a live stream and make an informed decision. Or is it the fact that if someone has the time/determination to make it to the AGM they theoretically are making a concious decision to improve the sport/hobby?