View Single Post
Old 17-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Most "sponsorship" these days isn't the sponsorship of the days of old. It's contracted customers. Basically you sign a contract to use a brand's chassis and buy from a supplier, either direct or from a distributor at a % discount. Anyone can get one if you aren't fussy about the brand.
Thats always been the case as far as I remember. Very few people get their gear for free or receive any sort of wage, the vast majority get a discounted rate.

The benefit to the company as mentioned is exposure, brand awareness and trackside support for customers. However from a driver point of view it opens up more support, you get inside knowledge of car development, get the new parts before anyone else. Its definitely a two way deal in that regards.

I'm not so sure about this 'contracted customer' as with the discount offered to most (varies for each manufacture) theres not much margin in toy cars, so someone with better knowledge than me can correct me, but I don't think they make much money from B team drivers, if any. They could break even, so it costs them nothing to get exposure.