View Single Post
Old 13-01-2014
Mad Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

The updated setup before the race is already posted. At the trackside I changed a couple of things:

- Tires: dBoots Blockpass (A)/Nanobyte (A) was replaced for Schumacher Low Cut Stagger (Yellow)/Schumacher Minipin (Yellow).

The dBoots front tires didn't seem to work for me, and the rears were starting to get too worn. The Schumachers provided more (and sharper) steering and the rear grip was much better too because it had more tread left.

- Shock Geometry: Rear shock upper hole moved from 2 (Center) to 3 (Inside).

The car still had a loose rear end on the plastic/vinyl sections of the track. My theory was that it was down to a lack of rear roll at low speeds. The change to a more progressive shock made the rear end more planted and the oversteer wasn't snappy anymore (you could feel it coming and correct for it a lot easier). It also increased on-power understeer on the carpet a tiny bit, but I recall the combination of new tires and shock geometry made the car about 20 seconds faster - that's nearly a full lap

- Shock Oil: Front shock oil from #500 to #450.

At the track someone pointed out my car had a bit sluggish front damping compared to the rear, so I changed this between the first and second finals. The result was more steering on- and off-power, and by this point the contrast between on- and off-power steering is very decent.

An important note to add is that in the last final, the rear tires were starting to go and thus the final before the rear tires may already have been over their performance peak. It may understeer more again with newer rear tires, but for this a 2mm shims (instead of 1mm) under the inside front ball stud should help - at least for me it did on other tracks.

I will continue to work on the car as I'm sure the car can improve further, but so far, so good! The advice has helped a lot and I'll definitely try the suggestions with the next opportunity I get!

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy