View Single Post
Old 30-11-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Miggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Some years ago when I was using the cobra se, mardave were talking about releasing a evo spec with a better diff and carbon shock towers. It never happened because at the time mardave had a problem with the gearbox moulding and needed a new one and the cost was an issue. Also, If memory serves me correctly the retail price for the new car was going to be approx £120 and with ansmann just hitting the market at the time it was thought that nobody would buy one when they could have an ansmann for a lot less. Chris wilkinson was not that convinced it would sell well. The car was fast at the time and I am sure in a vintage class would do well really. My car was used for the photos on mardaves website. It's evolved since then and I was going to sell it but I may hang into it and have a go with it one day.
If it was sold as a re-re vintage racer,then yes,and at the right price,it could be good.
The trouble with it though would still be the weak diff with most modern drivers wanting to use brushless/lipo power.
I mean,just look at the RC10 re-re,able to handle modern motors and batteries straight OOB just like the 30 year old one off of E-Bay can.
No chance of that with an original Cobra(proved it myself with a 27t superstock 25+year old Parma),hence the change to a MadRat 'box in mine.

If Mardave could re-engineer just the gearbox and sell it for half a re-re RC10's price,then,then,they might just be onto something.