View Single Post
Old 19-01-2008

Default brown, deep brown wheels

Like my Maverick MTB anodized boutique bike, I'd like to stick with the theme of earthtone. I want to dye my B44 wheels some kind of baby poop brownish green. any RIT dye formulations come to mind? I thought about boiling them with the diapers, but the wife was adamantly against heating the panties on the stove.... go figure.

So here I am with chiminea at the ready, taking care to stoke the fire that will boil the concoction to a perfect putrid color. I haven't had time to perfect the mix, but I'm going to empirically add yellow, green, and red until some color coagulate begins to dominate.

If you're still awake and reading this, and you aren't pre-occupied by making crop circles in the Bath Countryside, please do chime in your lessons.

I will be stopping the color cure with acid (pure lime juice + vinegar) and an icy cold bath (ice + water).

I'll then heat it up again for about 10 minutes to exhale all the pollutants. I'll apply a thick layer of Avant Skin Light Guard 45SPF over night (don't tell the missus - it cost $100 a bottle) and then rinsing in cold water and acetone in the AM.

Hopefully the wheels will develop ZERO "liver spots" and will continue to dominate as they have the past couple seasons.

-- f9a