View Single Post
Old 20-02-2011

Default TRF502X, things to improve

Dear all,

When building the TRF 502X I have found some things that Tamiya or an aftermarket company could improve:

- the shock tower attachment on the front upper gearbox cover does have a wrong angle. This should be the same angle as the front kick-up. The result is binding of the front shocks when mounted according the manual. It can be solved by use of a double shock tower, but the shocks won't be square with the lower arms. The TRF 511 doesn't have this problem.

-The slots in the diff joints are too large, in this way dust can easily enter the "sealed" gearbox. To prevent this i used a piece of heat shrink to cover the slots. (only covering the slot that's inside the gearbox)

Some minor things:

-Where is the angled steering system from the TRF 511? I for the best steering characteristics the steering system should be parallel to the steering uprights, like was done on the TRF 511 and 501X.

-The rear shocks are not reversible like on the TRF 511. Shocks can only mounted on the front side of the suspension arms. BTW: I didn't like driving the rear mounted option on the TRF 511.

-The gear box housings are not fully sealed like on the TRF 201. A sealing edge is missing. The gearboxes are very stiff and secured with 6 screws, so hopefully there is no need for sealing edges.

-accessing the motor screws is not easy, an improved motor mount like on the B44.1 should be nice.

- a double slipper clutch, I like this option very much on the TRF 511

So hopefully tamiya releases soon an updated front gear box cover and improved diff joints.