View Single Post
Old 16-03-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped View Post
Well I don't run an x6 and to get to 1740g I would have to run 420g of ballast which simply wouldn't fit without a redesign of the chassis (unless anybody has a load of spare tungsten they don't need.)

I currently have a 65 / 35 weight distribution at the minimum weight limit.

It sort of seems counter intuative to be running that much ballast on a racing car.

Dan / Body Paint. Out of interest what sort of tracks were you testing on to come up with that weight?

Were they particularly bumpy?

The reason I ask is that yes heavy cars generate more grip but they also generate more momentum and higher lateral loads too. - So I can see weight being an advantage on rough tracks., but on a smooth track I would expect cornering speed to be worse than for a light car.

This is certainly what you see in touring cars and 1/12.
Blimey, catching up on this thread.

I've only had my car run indoors (some high some low grip Euro tracks with arious sized jumps) since Lipo came to me, but on all my cars our setups indoor & outdoor (grass/multisurface Euro tracks (not clay)) always seem to be pretty much the same.

Having done a little work on suspension previous at Uni we did various things there and when I talked about what we do in model car racing the chassis designers I talked to could not believe it. Conventional theory just does not matter to us, what it feels like on track does. I.e. we pivot our cars on a MUCH smaller radius (even at 10th scale) to any normal racing car in almost any class, therefore IMHO you never want say ultimate rear grip because we usually want it to break away some at the right moment to pivot properly.

Similarly the way our suspension reacts over comparitivly shear faces of jumps etc means again logic goes out the window in some respects. So when it comes to weight and things people should run whatever they want but for me a heavy'er' car usually feels better.

That said just to re-iterate, for me getting the balance right (approx 65% rear 35% front on an X6) is MUCH MORE important than overall weight. But anyone running a big (5200mah Vampire Lipo in my case) will have to add 100g ish lead to the front so you'll end up getting to 1700g+ by default whether you want to or not. People running say TP 3200mah ones can chose to run a lighter overall car and still get the balance. But I'd advise them to try it, then add more weight front and rear and try it again and see what they prefer.

Nortech is ACE!