View Single Post
Old 16-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post
anyway... if you are going to get another esc, i would maybe recomend a 120 amp wc8 like alex recomended..... they seem to be pretty good in the water / rain... alex aka hotshot has personal experiance with it and he also does nto bull shit people and says what he genuinely thinks so you know when he says something it is the truth.

hope this helps
Thanks for the vote of confidence Lev. Crazy L, this is my current HPI Vorza setup:

Hobbywing 120A WP (waterproof) SC8 ESC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Express-EZ...item3f1f39f35e

This has been fitted to the car for over 6 months now without any problems (including driving in rain and aquaplaning through deep puddles etc.) and in my experience is as powerful as the Hobbywing 150A XERUN (I also have one of those in another car which i've found just as reliable when it's dry).

The only problem you might have is, how much does an LST weigh? The WP SC8 runs about 30 celcius hotter than the 150A XERUN fitted to the same car, and if I remember rightly an LST weighs more than a 1/8th buggy so this may cause problems, plus it can only handle up to 4S. If you want to run 6S i'd get another 150A XERUN, mine has been reliable and I know a lot of other people who've had the same experience and it sounds like you were just unlucky and got a faulty one.

TBH i've seen one other 150A XERUN burn up for no apparent reason but the owner fitted his spare one that day and that has been reliable ever since (this was back in May last year).

Motor wise i'm currently running a 2700kv EZRUN but HW don't make these any more so recently I bought and tested a Leopard 4065 2700kv:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ePacket-USA-...item416db2d9ce

This is identical to the EZRUN motor, in fact the boss of HW and the boss of Leopard apparently know each other. The performance of both motors is also identical, very very fast and about 17-18 mins runtime on 6000mah 65-130c 4s LiPos (although the ESC can be de-tuned and I plan to try this sometime along with lowering the gearing to see if it will last a full 20min final against nitros).

I went this route because when I bought the Vorza I originally wanted a spare (MMM) ESC but the £185 price tag almost buys you two Hobbywing ESCs and two Leopard motors so I thought i'd give them a try and i've never looked back.
Both ESCs are noticeably smoother than the MMM even when running sensorless and for about £20 you can get the HW program box and reprogram them trackside without a laptop.
Also IMO sensorless is more reliable in the wet-you only need one droplet of water to get on the sensor cable multiplug to confuse the hell out of the ESC (maybe that's what happened to your last one). Hope this info is helpful.