View Single Post
Old 13-08-2008

in large scale oval we use a 1/8th rallycross style car on road tyres and a salloon style body. As luck would have it 99% on the people racing use one kit which is the ftx street racer.
last winter i set about converting one of these to brushless and do some testng with the intent of racing it this year in the series against the nitro,s.
i know rallycross and oval are different but in oval you are on full gas more than off so the draw on fuel is high.
so with loads of data on pc from years of nitro cars racing and a venue to test at i started testing. ive used different motors, speedos direct drive, clutch and speedo brakes and mechanical brakes. my goal was to match the speed of the nitros not to be faster all before the series started.
findings:
1.speedo brakes had big effect on my run time.
2.direct drive with the pinions available albeit hardend lasted about 10 runs.
3.anything less than 4cell lipo everything got to hot
ive ended up using a waterproof boat speedo 4 cell lipo and a tekno clutch but 3 shoes and only 1 clutch shoe spring this acts as a 10th sliper clutch and is great.
ive used this setup for 7 round of the series so far and its cost me no maintainace and it gave me a track record this sunday.
i have just built a similar set up in a rallycross car for rallycross use and i am going to test it only difference will be to reduce the gearing as the rallycross tyres are bigger
brushless speedo and motor for less than £100 cheeper than replacing my engine for this season.