View Single Post
Old 13-01-2013

I take it your going to be racing the Mugen? If so then I would narrow it down to the Hobbywing, Tekin, LRP and also look at Viper.
One thing to remember is that 1/8th buggies need powerful steering servos that can draw a lot of current, so you need a speedo with a good BEC. This would also depend on what radio and servo your using.

The Hobbywing is cheap and seems reliable but the BEC is only rated at 3A and I've known some people that have had issues, and then run a seperate BEC.

The LRP looks good, don't really see many about though. The only issue I see with the LRP that I don't like is that you have to use quick connectors on the speedo instead of having normal solder posts. For some this would be good, but I prefer to have my connections to be soldered in.

The Tekin is good and fast, the early ones had reliability issues with the boards inside cracking but the casing was modified to prevent this. I would also get the Hotwire with the RX8 as for some reason my one ame with the old 198 software even though it was brought after the Vegas 223 software was released which makes a big difference. The Tekin motors are also good. I have an RX8 with 1900kV motor and its more than quick enough, faster than most nitros.

The Viper isn't officially distributed in the UK at the moment but there is a rumour that this will change soon. The VX8 has only just been released but has an alloy case and is waterproof, you change settings very easily with the ProGauge setting card as well. From what I've seen of their 1/10th and 1/12th stuff it's all well made and well supported with a one year warranty.