View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Hi mate.

Can you already fly a quad?
Can you build it yourself?

If you can - do both, then buying parts will be much cheaper. The Uk shops I have looked at charge lots for ready to fly 450 / 550's etc.

I'd skip the Phantom if you like to tinker and plan to add more to the quad.

Storm Drone Hex looks nice - i'd skip the Storm Drone Quad though - it's an upside down 450!

There are too many choices - what I have learnt is this stuff is like the Buggies - buy cheap, but twice, or three times and in the end you end up buying what you should have bought to begin with!

If you go down the Hobbyking KK2 route, it's much, much cheaper and you won't feel bad about crashing it or loosing it!

I started with a 330, then I got a 450 to use with a Go Pro. Tried a few cheap Gimbals and realised you need to buy a decent brushless gimbal to get decent footage as well as a well balanced machine. I've quickly realised the 450 isn't going to cut it for video as I want really stable footage - so i'm building a 550 and going to add a Tarot Gimbal. If that doesn't work i'll sack it all off and just fly my 330 for fun as it's a blast

Good luck deciding.
thanks Andy for the info.

I have no flown a quad or hex before, as for the build, it does look fairly straight forward and I'm good with a soldering iron, however the part that concerns me isn't the actual build but the setup of the radio and flight controller, I think at this point I'd be lost.

Still looking at a RTF setup, hopefully based around a 550. I haven't looked into the KK from Hobbywing, so I'll do that tonight and see how this stacks up against the naza and APM options.

Thanks
Raymond