View Single Post
Old 26-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I find driving a car ON MY OWN quiet and boring also - that's what this guy was doing.

But like I said to phil at neo buggy when he said the exact same thing as you - nitro is far quieter and less sociable. why? well you can't hear anything but an engine. At an electric race you'd get cheers, heckles and comedy. That's what I think of when I think of electric off road. The HUGE nitro races I've been to seem a heck of a lot less sociable and near-silent (when you take away the rather obnoxious engine noises).
The big electric races I've been to, have sometimes been mindblowingly alive with sound - one that sticks out is Neil Cragg racing at the Euros in 2006 in Austria, with a large UK team doing verbal battle with a large austrian crowd, it was ace

probably totally wrong there, but that's my experience.
I'm the first to confess that my rc racing is very limited travelwise and and I haven't experienced the large scale meetings that most on here have.

Sadly though I'm a true dinosaur, a child of the 70's, and I just love the sound and some of the smells of different engines. First experience in the late 60's was travelling in the back of my friends Dad's Chevrolet Camaro RS convertible listening to a small block Chevy on open pipes. Once I got mobile it was screaming Japanese two strokes followed by big bore four strokes.

We're still sociable at our club, there's friendly banter on the rostrum and a barbeque at every meet once the racings finished. Sadly I can't vouch for spectator participation as our racings not good enough to draw a crowd!

I shall never say never though and if electric is the future of 1/8th I'll probably get drawn in. The up side would hopefully be the run times and less maintenance on a motor as opposed to an engine.

I'm not sure they'd end up allowing 2 x 11.1 v 8000 mah lipo's for racing the same way as your not allowed anything bigger than a .21 in a buggy.