View Single Post
Old 18-01-2011

Here's mine

nothing special, just the old tank of a Master Smacker i used for the Ardent winter series, not expecting to win much with it but my aim is just to not come last. Fitted with 9t /35a ezrun system (was contemplating a 5.5/60a system), basic Futaba S3004 servo & the competition regulation mini-pin tyres on Fastrax rims (the only ones i could get to fit because of the off-set) with blue inserts, running Spektrum DX3S radio gear.

The only other changes i made were i fitted an ARE-1 spur gear (2 teeth less) because i stripped the kit one during the 1st run - (tip: don't follow the manual when meshing, put the top deck on before meshing the spur), plus i fitted a Tamiya pinion because the kit one weighs a fair bit & i've also changed the shock oil to Schumacher 30wt & fitted rubber collars inside the dampers on the shock-shaft to limit the travel to help with landing & to stop squat when i nail the throttle. I also tried springs on the rear from the Tamiya kit shocks of my DF-02 buggy. the kit springs really need to be softer as there is a lot of rebound as you land the car off a big jump, but it's just finding ones that will fit.
Plus a few changes to what the manual suggested were fitting the steering with pivot balls from the ARE-1 kit which aren't shouldered otherwise if you use the ones from the kit with the shouldered pivots, the steering linkage fouls & limits the travel.

will post a pic of the Mad-rat i've recently got when i get round to building it. I also have an Ansmann ARE-1 touring car but i won't bore you with that.