Thread: FWD/FF Buggy
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodClod View Post
Awesome looking project so far! I'm really interested to see how it turns out.

Will you be running this on astro or dirt?

I've found that on dirt wheelspin / forward traction is the main challenge to overcome. I can't wait to see how your design runs - we certainly could use more FF buggies running to test and refine designs.

I modded a FF-03 into a buggy and it had a battery layout similar to yours but on the dirt where I run the car really struggled for forward traction.

I just haven't gotten round to it but I've gotten all the parts needed to install a gear diff in my original FF (dubbed YKP locally)... plan is to put really hard oil in there to reduce the loss of any power especially on rutted areas of a dirt track.

Good luck, I'll be following this thread with interest!
Nice to get some info on the FF03 Buggy you made! I saw it on your Blogspot - and I also saw your RB5 (gearbox) based FF buggy which looks absolutely awesome Did you manage to keep the last one under 250mm wide at the front? I couldn't find a way to do that with the DB-01 arms, hence I chose for the custom front arms.

As for the terrain and weight distribution... I don't have a track that I usually go to (yet), though my preference goes to a natural surface (dirt, clay). Like I mentioned before, I want a narrow chassis and unfortunately I don't have saddle packs, so I'll need to play with under servo etc. weights if the the front traction is bad. It's good to know about it though, perhaps I can design the car to accept shorty LiPos and/or saddle packs as well in the future without the need for new parts