Thread: Stealth 1/10 tc
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulnuneaton View Post
tell you what we should all walk round with bearskin hats big grey coats all drive the same car a lada and all holiday in southend.
Give the guy who makes the car a chance as for a moped pulling a caravan some parts of bradford you will see it
So those of us who can see the car is something that's been tried before with the Tamiya F103GT and didn't work are supposed to keep our opinions to ourselves because they aren't positive rather than join in the discussion? It's hard to be convinced when your argument centres around it being British and different.

The biggest reason you have given seems to be that it's British, then what's wrong with the cheaper and easier to drive Schumacher Mi1? After all if someone wants to step up from Mardaves to touring cars why buy anything but a club spec or second hand touring car. You won't be able to use the Britishness of it as a valid reason to choose it when there is an alternative in the Mardave V10.

Like others here I have been following the development of this car and to be honest I was surprised they went for a double wishbone front suspension from a touring car, if it used the sliding kingpin front end the prototype car had then a change of wheels would convert it to a GT10 so it could race in an existing class. The double wishbone front end also surprised me as it's moulded plastic so bought in, while the original front end was made in house so surely cheaper. The only thought I have over the front end married to a pan car rear is that Radshape are deliberately aiming to build a car that isn't compatible with current classes which isn't going to help sales as not only do you have to convince racers to try the car, but also try a completely new class. Conversely if the idea is to ignore racing rules and make a car for bashers, that's a non starter as for £40 less you can get a RTR Maverick Strada.

I can only guess the complexity and the limited production leads to the high price, but the reason for a lot of the negative comments is the quoted price. Who is going to pay £149 for the Stealth when the Mardave V10 will be cheaper, for £20 less you can get a Schumacher Mi1 and for £30 more you can buy a full carbon CRC Gen-X10LE. I know the quality of the Stealth will be good, but then so is the quality of the other cars I've listed. If the price came down I'm sure more will be sold.

The one thing the Stealth isn't is a stepping stone to touring cars. Really it's a rival to the new Mardave V10 (with a bigger price tag) and is yet another class of car to be accommodated. Considering F1s aren't exactly filling the clubs when if you want a 1/10th scale rwd car you can buy the F109 for a lot less, if you want a rwd touring car just stick a saloon shell and F104 wheels on an F109. I do know that if someone turned up at my club with a Stealth it would just end up racing at a disadvantage in with the f1s and pan cars.

One thing going for it is spares availability, being made and sold by Radshape, but for many people easy access to spares isn't that important a reason for choosing a car, just look how many people are using 3Racing F109s compared with those running Tamiya F103 and F104.

Us doubters wait to be convinced, although all of us would be very happy if Radshape will be successful with this and hope it leads to bigger and better products..