Thread: FWD/FF Buggy
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_axe View Post
if i can help at all with this awesome looking project i will be glad to help i have good cad skills (but so do you) i also own a small cnc mill so if you need anybits making let me know
Cool, thanks for the offer! I need loads of bits made actually, even though I try to use as many existing parts as possible! At school we have a CNC machine: The smallest bits are 3mm, which is not a problem but I must keep that in mind when designing. The problem currently is that I don't have a working piece of software to program the paths for the CNC machine (something like Mastercam) and have never worked with it either.

Anyway, time for an update:

A couple of changes have been made, all at the front suspension really. I tried to fit the lot together, and what do you know? It fits! But only just as you can see in the pictures above. I can't really use several holes in the suspension arm for adjustment because of the lack of room, and at the top I might be able to use two or three holes from side to side.

For considerations of weight balance and room for the damper I decided to shape the suspension arm like I did before: Slightly swept back. The hinges of left and rihgt are still parallel though.

I'd still love to have an inboard suspension system on it, so I might have a look at it later on. For now though I at least have a front suspension system that will work.

There were some suggestions for a trailing arm kind of system. As cool as I think they are, I'm still going for double wishbone suspension. It's a system I'm more familiar with, so it will be easier for me to set up right. It will guarantee the strength of the rear suspension as well, as the rear suspension will still get the same loads and from the same directions as it was developed for.

Another FF Buggy video for you It is Grahoo's Poprod that was mentioned earlier in this thread, in action! It doesn't have a massive motor in it and it isn't a demanding track on your average buggy it seems, but with a TA03 transmission at the front (lightweight, no slipper) and NiMh in the middle (heavy) this car seems to do well in terms of weight balance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgBdysVdjI

And this one (Nichimo FF) shows why I didn't choose for a mid motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzkk...eature=related