View Single Post
Old 22-04-2018

Next up, a bit of a rarity. This is a Reedy BK Select 12 Double, a motor which has quite a story behind it.

I have hunted down quite a bit of information, which points to this having been almost released then prevented from being so due to Brian Kinwald defecting over to Losi/Trinity some 4 months after the '93 Basildon Worlds win. Basically Trinity threatened to sue Reedy, preventing any sales. The idea for this motor was conceived after his win and each unit was supposedly a direct replica of the spec he used to win the WC. Just as it was about to be released to the public Trinity stepped in and prevented them from going on sale, so they were rumoured to have been sent out to the team drivers and production ceased. I sourced this directly from our very own ex-team Reedy driver Jimmy Davis who backed up this story. He tells me he only ever raced it twice after the great man himself posted it over to him. I have since tracked down two others, both of which were also sourced from ex-Team Reedy drivers.

I have been informed that there were a couple of mag articles on this motor at the time over in the US detailing the internal brush and winding tweaks made to match the Kinwald spec, so if anybody has anything on this I would really appreciate seeing a copy. I would guess RCCA editions from late '93 into early '94 perhaps? If anybody knows more accurate info then I would love to have your input.

Either way it is a very rare and cool piece of RC history.
Yokomo Works '91, RC10 Graphite Custom, TOP Models Hybrid, 2 x 870c, CAT XL, AYK Pro Radiant x3, Pb Maxima, SG Coyote Custom, Marui Samurai, Hot Trick/Trinity Optima, 2 x Mardave Meteors, Prototype Meteor, original Sand Scorcher.