Thread: ZX-5 Setups
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In the absence of an editable set-up sheet I can post here please see the text below;

Ledbury pre-regional, won the main final and qualified well in first session, TQ'd second session and won final after a horror start that left me last, car very confident and could be pushed really hard!

High grip grass and a mix of packed and loose sandy dirt sections .... rough in places, really rough in others. Some good jumps and a couple of tricky sections.

Front end

Shocks: 35wt AE oil, 2C pistons, #70 Silver springs (1.5 coils removed)
mid on tower, mid on wishbone, ride hieght:- shafts just below level

Links:-shortest possible, 0mm bulkhead, 2mm outer, -1.5deg camber

10deg castor blocks, no spacer between front hingepin mount and gearbox

1mm ARB

Steering; all as per kit other than 0.5deg toe in, black short ball stud on knuckles to reduce bumpsteer

Rear

Shocks: 25wt AE oil, 2B pistons, #68 blue springs
mid on tower, in on wishbone, ride hieght:- shafts level

Links:-outer on hub - mid on bulkhead, 2mm bulkhead, 2mm outer, -1.5deg camber

1.2mm ARB

#4 spacer under forward hingepin mount, #1 spacer under rear
SP width @hingepin mounts and black driveshafts
(will change to FS width when parts available to do so as I feel the car would benefit from the rised roll centres)

Cells forward (E-Power 4500 NiMh)
Wing low, mid angle

Novak 6.5L geared 23 against kit spur

Tyres: Ballistic Buggy green mini spikes when grass slightly damp (good on the loose dirt, less so on the packed surfaces). Schumacher yellow mini spikes when fully dry. Both sets of tires in very shape but not brand new, both sets with the outer row cut from the front tires.

Now here is the suprise ....... front one-way!

Woody is right, on this car you car practically swap between the one-way diff and a true diff whilst changing nothing else on the set up, never came across another car able to do that.

I ran most of the day on a diff then the track was changed to one that needed a more point and squirt style and Brian Preddy suggested a change to a one-way. The major benefit was that the jump sections didn't flow and the one-way would allow you to roll forward easier if the car landed nose down were as the diff unsettled the car. Earlier in the day when the jumps flowed I ran the diff to benefit from the extra brakes.

Last edited by RogerM; 07-04-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to list tires and cell type