Thread: X2C Build Tips
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpiey View Post
Hi
this is what iv found, dont use the kit shock oil, use 20wt in the rear and 25wt in the front if you are running the kit springs, i found with the kit oil on slow jumps it tended to kick the back in the air and land heavy on the nose.

stumpy
i'll echo that.

to add to the tips, here's a couple of mine

1) do not use the totty pot of grease from the kit, for starters there will not be enough & second i'd keep it handy for just greasing o-rings as it's not much cop for anything else.. either build the diff with Ansmann highspeed grease, or some Teflon cycle grease (which is similar stuff) or get down the local engineering place & get some Silicone grease (it's much cheaper than buying the tiny tubes of associated grease & is the same kind of stuff). Soak the diffballs in a light oil (such as baby oil) before fitting & pack it tight with grease - any excess will ooze out once screwed together, what will do a lot will also do a little.

2) Use a light oil (such as 3-in-1 oil) or vaseline on the idler gear, this is not really recommended & a lot of people say do not oil the gears, however i've known a few people who have had stripped idle gears on all the 2WD Ansmanns (myself included) & it appears the problem is heat softening the gear, so the oil is simply there to aid cooling / reduce friction.

3) Always check under the t-plate after a run, if it feels warm the chances are the diff needs to be tighter or rebuilt & this is likely to cause the problem highlighted in point 2.

4) Always use Moly grease on the thrust bearing.

Going back to my point about keeping the idle gears cool, a trick i've done is to use the Ansmann motor heatsink (part number - 203000205) with the off-set fan - rotate the fan & the fan mount 90° & clip the heatsink over the motor with the fan hanging over the top of the gearbox at a 45° angle blowing air onto it.. this has the added benefit of motor cooling, but the initial reason is to cool the gearbox as much as possible to stop heat build-up softening the idle gears.