View Single Post
Old 17-07-2014

Default 13.5 v 17.5 Brushless in GT12 - The debate part 2...

OK, so as a Club organiser, I always offer a warm welcome to fellow RC racers from other clubs and we have quite a few members who race at more than one club in the region and having spoken to some of those clubs over the past few days we are all in the same position right now about the Production Cup v Super Cup Classes that the BRCA have now passed in the GT12 class, as voted and put forward by it's membership.

So the question is, what will club's be doing to introduce the two classes, if they do at all! We are stuck between a rock and a hard place as many of us are trying to help beginners and those who find handling a 13.5 too much in GT12 but are they really going to be going out and buying a 17.5 Brushless?

Well you could say that they'd save in the long term from all the breakages and chunked tyres, but they won't see it that way

If this class was starting from scratch then we wouldn't have a problem, but with so many racers with a 13.5 stuck in the back of the car we are left wondering in the Production Class is even worth having!

It would be great if all clubs agreed to a single set of rules and stood by it over a set period to introduce it but I cant see that ever happening.

I'd be really interested in hearing from other club officials to see what others will be doing to try and introduce the 'slower' class into the GT12 class over the coming 12 months it at all...

I think the only thing we can do as a club is enforce those who can't handle the speed to turn down the throttle by at least 80% if not more and continue to educate and promote clean driving, that way if they do improve they can turn the speed up without having the burden of paying for a new motor.

The thinking behind the introduction of the Production Cup Class I'm sure was all very good, but in practice I don't see it lasting more than 12 months with it being dropped at next years AGM.

Over to all fellow club organisers - what's your thoughts?