Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 07-08-2011

Default Ipad 2

Thinking about getting one.

Anyone have an experience of them. What are peoples thoughts?

Also, any deals anyhwere that people know about?

Cheers

Danny
Old 08-08-2011

Got some in work. Nice gadget to have for a quick look up on t'internet but it doesn't handle popups well.

If its just surfing check out the android ones as they are cheaper. If its mainly the apps and compatability then go for it.
Old 08-08-2011

Danny, if you get a chance, have a look at the motorola xoom. It uses android and in my opinion is the better option. Exactly the same price as the ipad, but you can do more on it and it has better specs
Old 08-08-2011

I maybe missing a trick but what is the current craze for iPads / tablets?

I have an ultra-portable 11.6" low voltage intel pentium dual core laptop that has windows 7 premium, microsoft office, 8 hours battery life on a single charge.

So whilst iPads, playbooks etc look very nice, what can it offer me that my laptop cant?

Dont get me wrong, this is not an attack on them, but I do not currently know (but am willing to be corrected!) what it can offer me that I cant already do on my laptop?

I get that they are a little smaller, but at 11.6" I dont actually feel like I need anything any smaller...

Is there anything that I am missing?
Old 08-08-2011

I find my iPad has taken up the role of surfing the web, playing games, checking out movies/music and chatting to friends on Skype and Facebook, perfect while chilling out.

Handy for on the move even without the 3G version.

Personally I found that the android versions we're good and better than the iPad in some areas, but having using Apple for my work I found the iPad just worked and functioned more to my liking over competitors.

You won't be disappoint with either operating systems though . Just the price for the iPad is more (but you have top quailty product) and you have the ever worrying thought Apple will release a new version in a few months.
Old 08-08-2011
No trade access

Really find my iPad 1 very useful, after a 6-7 months use, I barely use my pc.

Great for PDF, website, eBay, Paypal, mail, pictures.
I'm not an apple fan but I like the simplicity, especially for mails.

Geat screen, very clear definition. Got the 32G and it's enough for me.

One thing I like is setting up the wifi at home and at work once and not worry about it anymore.

It's nice for traveling too, very light with enough power for a whole day.

Nice for Oople too.
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

iOS products don't need the specs to do the same job as the android powered devices because apple make both the hardware and the software.

From 9-5 mac:
Since Apple controls both the operating system and hardware design of the iPad, it is able to attain design efficiencies that other tablet manufacturers cannot. These efficiencies become obvious in areas like the memory and the battery, where Apple maintains advantages in cost, space savings and performance compared with every competitor in the business.

It’s a post-PC use case. You’re not bounded by performance. You’re bounded by user interaction. I don’t think a user can distinguish a performance difference or get a sense of the speed of the hardware by using it. It’s a different metric. The iPad’s efficient memory usage stems from the fundamental difference in the architecture of the operating system Apple’s iOS handles multitasking differently than other tablet operating systems, allowing it to reduce the amount of memory required to support the microprocessor.

Plus iOS 5 is due in the next month or 2 making big leaps forward for both pads and phones

(MacBook Pro / Iphone 4 owners)
Old 08-08-2011

...oops
Old 08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Plus iOS 5 is due in the next month or 2 making big leaps forward for both pads and phones

(MacBook Pro / Iphone 4 owners)

that’s relative it wont do any think that hasnt been done already.. apple actually lag behind but then release features later but in a polished format.

Ive owned android phones n iphone 3gs so im familiar with the os's
id get the ipad simply because of the app's especially if you want to play games, make music, edit videos, etc etc..

saying that im quite happy with my S2 phone but temped my the ipad. best of both
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you don't need the camera on the ipad 2 - take a look on the apple re-furb store here :

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...co=MTM3NTU5OTQ

I have an ipad 1 and it's utterly brilliant. Battery lasts all day and I couldn't live without it now.
Personally - for the reasons already stated I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigbunt View Post
saying that im quite happy with my S2 phone but temped my the ipad. best of both
suppose it's only slightly bigger than your phone anyways
Old 08-08-2011

Get a galaxy tab 7" and over clock it to 1.5ghz. Plays flash and makes phone calls unlike an ipad and alot cheaper than ipad 2.
And the BIG plus is its not apple so no crappy itunes and you dont have to do what Mr Jobs says.
Old 08-08-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Whats with this 'crappy itunes' thing? Never had any problem with it??? So you have to use an ipod/iphone etc with it, rather than some unsupported 3rd party device, seems fair enough to me!!!

Love my ipad 1, and thinking of getting an ipad 2, purely for the built in camera to do skype calls without using my imac.

To be honest, it does nearly everything I want to do in the evening, battery lasts a good few evenings depending on what I am doing on it. Only thing that is lacking is full PDF support atm, but this is supposed to improve in iOS 5, along with the ipad/phone being a standalone device, with the introduction of icloud.

I would say...if its a business/work tool, dont bother. If you just want a nice device to chill out in in the lounge, its great for videos/photos, web surfing/oople etc. Video support also isnt superb atm, sometimes cant play flash videos etc, which is slightly annoying, even using the youtube app, but that is about it really. Hoping some developments in iOS 5
Old 08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
Whats with this 'crappy itunes' thing? Never had any problem with it??? So you have to use an ipod/iphone etc with it, rather than some unsupported 3rd party device, seems fair enough to me!!!

Love my ipad 1, and thinking of getting an ipad 2, purely for the built in camera to do skype calls without using my imac.

To be honest, it does nearly everything I want to do in the evening, battery lasts a good few evenings depending on what I am doing on it. Only thing that is lacking is full PDF support atm, but this is supposed to improve in iOS 5, along with the ipad/phone being a standalone device, with the introduction of icloud.

I would say...if its a business/work tool, dont bother. If you just want a nice device to chill out in in the lounge, its great for videos/photos, web surfing/oople etc. Video support also isnt superb atm, sometimes cant play flash videos etc, which is slightly annoying, even using the youtube app, but that is about it really. Hoping some developments in iOS 5
The crappy itunes thing comes from having 3 iphones and then moving over to android and realising how shit itunes is. I'll stick with drag and dropping files and being able to play ANY youtube and flash vids inc 1080p and google backing up all my apps and contacts without having to connect to my PC and transferring video and music via wireless in the house.
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the screen isn't 1080p though is it?
Old 08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
the screen isn't 1080p though is it?
No but at least i can play them