Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 17-06-2010

Default Looking at buying a cheap Ford Focus

I start a new job on monday , So I am in the hunt for another car.

After getting a new car every six months, I have no know idea what i am looking for with second hand cars.

I thinking of getting a MK1 Focus 1.8 LX 5dr with around 70 odd k on the clock as think they are relativly cheap fairly good handling, and easy to repair maintain.

Does anyone know

When the timing belt needs changing?

when the Spark plug need changing and are the stupidly expensive?

Where the corrosion spots are?
I know most cars are fully galvanised but bad design can allow salt dirt and water to build up in areas and cause corrosion points.

What can go wrong with zetec engine?

When the bushings need replacing?

Is the trim on these cars gonna fall apart quickly at this age or are they pretty solid?

Any drive train problems to look out for?

How relaible are the eletrics for the CANBUS and what to look for on the test drive.

Thanks

Sammy
Old 17-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

watch out for the dual mass fly wheel on the focus. my old 52 plate had this go at around 70-80k miles, and it was a £3k repair bill!! I politely declined and traded the car in!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 17-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I thought the dual mass flywheel was just on the diesels?

With rust, it's pretty much only the sills and arches if they've had bad stone chips. The rest survives well as long as the drain plugs in the doors haven't got blocked.

cambelt & plugs I can't remember the frequency, but it's not that expensive (on the 1.6 zetec at least!).

We've got a 1999 1.6 Focus with over 160k on it and the bushings are still ok, trim is solid and we've no plans on changing it.

Things to check for are the front section of the exhaust, it can crack just before the flexi and you can't repair it. Rear wheel bearings and rear brake cylinders tend to go too.

Nothing too expensive, although the air con has just needed regassing but it's not bad at that mileage/age.
Old 17-06-2010

Cambelts are 100k, although the pullys tend to go before then so aim for about 85 ish.

Plugs, not very often and not very expensive.

Corrosion, just by the wing mirrors there generally is some, also on the boot, there is a strip of plastic, it rust there, but its only surfice rust.

DMF is only an issue on the diesel ones (04 plates generally). It shares the flywheel with the ST170 and it can get damaged.

Engine wise, nothing major has been reported with them, the 1.8 is a decent engine, but its a bit thirsty (320 miles out of a full tank) so take that in mind. Take a look at the drop links on the anti roll bar, they will creak and clang if they are on the way out and its an MOT fail if they are. In the years I've had mine its generally been brakes and tyres that needed replacing, nothing major in the engine (both petrol and diesel)

I used to own an X reg 1.8 lx, decent specs on it, was a nice car to drive, just a bit thirsty. Am now in an 04 1.8 TDCi Ghia, again, decent specs, its had a new flywheel (and clutch plates), but, its not mega ecconomic on fuel (450 on a full tank if I drive carefully) and i've had this one nearly 3 years now.

Aim for the facelift version of the car if you can, looks a bit better and its a common car, so parts are easy to get and cheap.

Odly enough, mines for sale in Aug/Sept
Old 17-06-2010

thanks i am gonna test drive this one tomorrow http://www.internationalmotorco.auto...&cdID=10875662

It got a rear towbar and the wing mirrors are different colours but i can live with that for the time being.

I dunno what to check for if this car has been towing caravans
Old 17-06-2010

Firstly, make sure its all the same colour on the drivers side. For some reason, someone has bought the primed mirror cover and not bothered painting it (Paint code is on the chassis number if you do buy it though). The description says body coloured mirrors so its a bargaining point at least.

its not a standard gear knob either that looking at it. How many miles has it done?
Old 17-06-2010

i can get it painted for £50 but i don't really want to have the car of the road for a couple days to get it painted

Wing mirror probably been kicked off by a chav pretty common thing to happen round here
Old 17-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

From the info in the advert its got service history which if its full is a good thing in at least the owner looked after it. Ask for a look at the V5 get the previous owners address and contact him about what he towed and are there any problems. If you get to test drive it on your own go somewhere quiet stick it in first gear foot on the brake and clutch full down then fast off the clutch pedal. The engine should stop immediatley if it runs on a bit the cluch is worn.
This might be worth a read http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buy...cle_checks.jsp
Old 17-06-2010

Just been looking at Insurance, I am annoyed now I am gonna have to pay as much as I did for a brand new group 17 leon cupra,just cause of the area I have moved to! other wise it would be around 300 quid
Old 17-06-2010

only problem is you may have a bit of a problem finding about its history from last owner with toeing etc, as it looks like from a garage, in witch many like to make up storys that buyers love to hear. only beleve what is down on papper, not from what the garage says.
Old 17-06-2010

Most modern cars a designed to cope with towing other wise they wouldn't be allowed to be fitted with a towbar. So I am not too worried. Would be useful for mounting bike to the back of the car securely.