View Poll Results: See post below.
Am I right? 15 68.18%
Am I wrong? 7 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col
Default Paypal gift

So you're selling an item in the for sale section. You don't want much for it, infact the price is very reasonable.
But then you go and ruin it by putting "paypal gift or buyer pays the fees"
I don't know you, so I'm not going to "give" you any money! Anyone who does is a fool, in my opinion. So that option is out.
Buyer pays the fees? Why the hell should I pay extra because you're too tight to pay for the service (paypal...) that you are using to get your money quickly? That option is out as well.

Looks like I'm buying new from one of the many superb RC shops we have.

Discuss...

Last edited by Col; 14-02-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 25-08-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

your wrong its quiet simple really , you say i dont wana pay via paypal gift so ill pay the fees and pay you via paypal goods
Old 25-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post

Looks like I'm buying new from one of the many superb RC shops we have.

Discuss...
Anyone who would then turn around and think "I aint paying the 3.5% fees, so I will go and buy brand new" which could potentially be 30%-50% of the second hand fee being asked originally...is a chump.

/thrad

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 25-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

The last couple of paypals I've done it's said no fee's anyway and I haven't put them through as gifts...

i've only done payments so not sure if the other end has extra fees or not, but no one has complained yet lol
Old 25-08-2011
Mad Member

Why can't people sell there stuff for a price including all fees? not too hard really is it?
Old 25-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian h View Post
Why can't people sell there stuff for a price including all fees? not too hard really is it?
That's basically what I'm getting at, Ian!
Old 25-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
your wrong its quiet simple really , you say i dont wana pay via paypal gift so ill pay the fees and pay you via paypal goods
Why should the buyer pay the fees, though?
I always thought that eBay and Paypal were essentially the same company, and when you sell on there you not only pay to advertise but you pay to receive the money. Why should the seller (who is the one with free advertising and asking to use the paypal service for free) not pay a small charge (ie paypal goods) for the privilege?
Old 25-08-2011

It's against eBay rules to charge for using PayPal so why should buyers on here pay extra?
Old 25-08-2011
SHRCCC Legend

As long as it's advertised that buying pays the 4% paypal fee's I see no issue. No one is forcing you to buy it

If the price doesnt state that then you assume the seller will pay fees.

I'm just completing two tricky business purchases and I've just been told that one of the vendors has told their solicitor I am picking up their tab!, dont think so!
Old 25-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I don't understand the poll?!

I don't see the problem with asking the buyer to pay the fees, if you outlawed it sellers would just add it to the asking price anyway.

If you look at this from the other point of view, i'm not asking you to pay for me to recieve the money sooner, i'm asking you to pay the fees so that you can get the item sooner, ie without having to wait for your cheque to arrive and subsequently clear.
Old 26-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
I don't understand the poll?!

I don't see the problem with asking the buyer to pay the fees, if you outlawed it sellers would just add it to the asking price anyway.
3 hours later I'm not sure I understand to poll either.

That's exactly what I (not in my capacity as trade mod either) would like to happen. Then it's plain and simple what price is to be paid for the product from the outset and everybody is covered and paypal get payed for the service they provide.
I cannot understand why paypal would even put the gift option there at all.
Old 26-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Now if you're talking about paypal gift then that's different.
i never buy something via gift as you have no protection & I think that should be discouraged. Instead I work out what the fees are and I pay them.
if the asking price + fees is more than I want to pay then I don't buy it, it's simple and I don't understand what the fuss is.
Old 26-08-2011
Mad Member

The paypal 4% fee, is what paypal charge the seller for receiving money. Not the buyer for sending it.
I thought in business it was illegal to charge someone extra for a electronic payment.

The price of a sellers item should include a little extra to cover the fee when advertised.

If they are demanding gift the item is probably not as advertised and the buyer has not got a leg to stand on with paypal protection.
Old 26-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I do ask for payment by gift but only for the £5 screwkits. I then donate the fee,s paypal would have taken, rounded off to 4% to oople but if anyone does not want to pay by gift thats fine.
I also think due to the number of people who use oople solely to sell their items, and theres a lot of them, then maybe a 10-20 pence fee could be applied to every sale.
This would bring in a tidy amount of cash. Half of this could go to site costs and the oople race. The other half could be donated to a selected charity every few months or so.
Old 26-08-2011
Mad Member

i see your point but when i sell something i sell it alot cheaper on here then the bay i include the fees in the price to make it easier so its a straight payment no messing yes the buyer payes the fees but its not going in to the sellers pocket its protecting the goods your buying call it a small insurance charge.when selling on the bay people charge more to cover the fees from them.
Old 26-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
I thought in business it was illegal to charge someone extra for a electronic payment.
What about all the companies who charge a fee if you are paying by credit card but not if paying by debit card?
Similar principle here - pay by cheque/postal order/bank transfer then no 'surcharge' pay by paypal then 4% surcharge.

I don't think a 10-20p fee per item would be manageable by oOple and how would it be paid? If by paypal then they'd still take their fees out of that!
Any changes have to be simple and easily monitored by moderators

But if people want to advertise something as £50 plus paypal fees then it's down to the purchaser to decide whether they want to pay £52.10 by paypal for the item or not, rather than force the seller to just say they want £52.10 for it regardless of payment method.
Old 26-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

How about offering it for sale including fees and then offer a discount for cash or cheque payments?

Seems a bit pointless to me.

ie. I want £10 for something.. I don't give a rats ass how you pay for it but I will not take less than a tenner... It's up to you how you choose to pay for it but I want no less than £10 in my hand or bank account.

Sounds fair to me

If you are saying the seller ONLY accepts paypal then maybe he/she should make the effort to calculate the fee and add it to the price.. Either way it seems a little irrelavent as above still stands.

I do get your point tho Col, it is a little annoying.

As for the poll I think you are both right and wrong so ticked neither because I couldn't tick both LOL
Old 26-08-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Feck sake guys is 4%.... really a deal breaker on 2nd hand kit???? think not chaps!!!
Old 26-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

with me you have 3 options,i always include postage on all items......eg £10 as gift £15 as non gift or get it from the shop at £20 plus postage...everyones a winner

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 26-08-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Having been not that long to the oOple, thats one of the first things that shocked me.
Paypal gift's are a big no-no. You have no protection whatsoever.

Fine for a bit of money - if you lose it, no biggy, but I always jsut pay as "Goods" and if there is a fee, I pay it.
Its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

i.e. I agree with Carl and Gareth.

Ian H has a fair point too - better as a seller to just give one price with fees included. Simpler and safer for everyone.

@Col - I know waht you mean about buyer paying the fees for a service they are using, but the flip side of that coin is that you are also using the service to pay tthe seller, so you could argue that you should pay the fees too?

Anyways, my advice to anyone:
- pay as Paypal Goods
- pay any fees yourself
- be happy
- send all money, women, rc cars and earthly possessions to Cardnim.