Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 06-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Rally Racing - 1/10th Buggys

This was just a random thought i had so please don't take it too seriously, i just thought i'd see if anyone's ever tried this or thought about it for racing?

Obviously our tracks are built for 10 cars to race around so are all nice and big/wide which is great..... but for a one off meeting how would this be for a laugh?

The idea i had would be to layout a track but in a rally "stage" kind of idea where obviously it would be a lot narrower which therefore means it could be a lot longer lap time.

How about no practise, no marshalls and you literally start off on your own and the next car doesn't go until you've completed the "stage".

I was thinking you could even do it one way for round 1, let all cars run and see who was fastest through the stage.

Round 2 you could reverse the track (again no practise or marshalls, you crash and you're out)

Round 3 you could do a back to back lap where you have to complete one way through the stage, turn round at the end and then come back on yourself.

Round 4 as above but in reverse.

Obviously there are loads of other ways you could do it (i.e have 3 laps at it) or whatever to increase track time but depending on Numbers it would probably be fine like the above.

Only a random idea i had but i just thought it would make quite a fun day out if you have limited numbers (which seems a common theme these days) and would just bring a bit of a different atmosphere to the racing.

Would all come down to clean but fast driving on a narrow track you don't know....

Thought it could be fun as a one off anyway With a track 1/2 the normal width you could obviously use main features twice through one lap too which could be cool at certain tracks (batley etc)
Old 06-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

66 views and no reply
Old 06-11-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Thats an ace idea!

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 06-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

I think we should have a team event. Split into teams of three or four and whatever team gets the most laps on the board wins. No limit on track time, just full on racing!
O and fair teams.
Old 06-11-2007
Mad Member

or......using half width of existing track with a crossover like the timed events at full size, 2 cars against each eliminator......may try to draw something later............must have been done somewhere?

(am I making work for myself here?)
Old 06-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
or......using half width of existing track with a crossover like the timed events at full size, 2 cars against each eliminator......may try to draw something later............must have been done somewhere?

(am I making work for myself here?)
Yeah the Special stages are cool and would no doubt work well too - should be even if each car has to do a lap of each bit too!
Old 06-11-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I like the cross over idea most, as it would appeal for normal track building. I am sure that it wouldnt matter if you did 5 (for example) laps in the quickest time. Starting each car at half way round the circuit. (1 half dirt, the other grass...) I can post a picture if anyone wants to know more.

Sort of like pushbike racing on an oval, but also with right hand turns!!

Mark
Old 06-11-2007
Mad Member

R/C rallying is very big in the Czech Republic and Poland. Proper narrow rally courses, each car going one at a time with no marshalling - the drivers follow the cars around the track and reversing ESCs are used. Narrow tracks means it's more about driving skills instead of how much power you've got.

Plenty more pics here http://www.intercup.cz/Foto/Foto2007.htm

And check out this video of a Superstage setup
http://elva-elektro.cz/video/rcrally...ry_rcsport.wmv
Old 07-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Wow that looks pretty cool, makes some great photo's!!

Only thing i'm not sure on there is the whole following the car around while driving it - surely if you were any good the car would be long gone before you can keep up??

My idea would be racing from the Rostrum as normal but make the normal track at least 1/2 the normal width and obviously a lot more twisty as you'll have far more room to play with and rather then just completing circuits it would be a long enough lap that you could time the cars through the lap or "stage" if you like..... just so the idea of rallying is there but the tracks wouldn't be quite as narrow as a proper rally stage (if it was to scale)
Old 07-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

That is cool!!!! I mean they go a bit far modelling the stages and following the cars round but the idea rocks!
Old 07-11-2007

That is ace where do they do this again i love it.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 07-11-2007

If you read above it says Czech republic & Poland.

Go and race there Ash. We can start an Oople collection for the (one way!!) air fare. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get enough donations...
Old 07-11-2007

Race of champions style!
Old 07-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have always thought it would be ace to 'simply' run a hose down the centre of the track all the way round and leave a gap down the straight.

race 2 cars head-to-head in each lane, swap lanes on 'lap 2' so you both get to race both lanes..

pretty much what Truman said....
Old 07-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think indoors this would be awesome, could have some really innovative obsticles and jumps etc.
Old 07-11-2007

I've always thought that it'd be great to have an actual rally class, as in saloon style impreza's running around dirt tracks, but it'd have to take off in a big way as the tracks would have to be pretty much just for them, our current tracks are probably too large scale jump wise. Not sure about running round a smaller track than currently without marshalls though, i use the marshalls enough on a full width track
Old 07-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There were some heats for rally x cars a few years ago at tivvy and other places, although it was fun, it didnt really take off.
Old 07-11-2007

I can see why it wouldn't when you can pick up a buggy and take on bigger jumps and rougher terrain, that's always gonna appeal to the masses, i just like the idea of putting saloons sideways (without plastic tyres and silly camber to make it look 'ghetto street' ) Rallying in general is less popular than it was, not sure it's even televised now is it?
Old 07-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's got full coverage on Eurosport. WRC and the lower classes.
Old 07-11-2007

rallying is still telovised its ace i love it. Used to go watch it to went to taten park about 10 years ago we got shitted up to the eyeballs but it was ace fun never had a funner day in my life.

A