Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 15-01-2012

Default x-5 maintenance; replacing belt and

I recently picked up the hobby again and one of the cars I am getting back into shape is my x-5.

The car seems to be in excellent shape with the exception of the fact that the belt (being five years old) broke and the center slipper pulley (LOSA3269 Slipper Drive Pulley) became partially stripped. Luckily xxx-4 parts are still reasonably available.

Can someone explain what I need to pull apart to replace both the belt and the pulley? It's been a while since I worked with this car and by the looks of it I have to pull apart half the car to replace these items. Yet, I thought I would check the community knowledge base beforehand in hopes someone could show me a simpler/faster way to go about it.

*looking forward to the x-7 if the parts supplies are good.
Old 16-01-2012

I had to replace a belt on my X5 at the petite yesterday

Basically you need to remove the front and rear diff, take the spur cover off and remove the bottom cover (to make it easy to thread the belt) Also pop off a steering linkage as the belt needs to pass through. It took me about 30 mins. Take the time to make sure the pulleys are clean and remove any built up dirt from the pulley teeth.
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
I had to replace a belt on my X5 at the petite yesterday

Basically you need to remove the front and rear diff, take the spur cover off and remove the bottom cover (to make it easy to thread the belt) Also pop off a steering linkage as the belt needs to pass through. It took me about 30 mins. Take the time to make sure the pulleys are clean and remove any built up dirt from the pulley teeth.
Thanks, will do! It's still a great car . . . even if its now about six years old! By the way, I run nimh on it, but has anyone considered how to fit lipo with its unique chassis layouts?
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulves Baine View Post
Thanks, will do! It's still a great car . . . even if its now about six years old! By the way, I run nimh on it, but has anyone considered how to fit lipo with its unique chassis layouts?
Shorty lipo ?
Old 16-01-2012

I run a stick pack down the servo side of the X5 using the DMS carbon lipo battery strap (part no. DMS146)
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulves Baine View Post
but has anyone considered how to fit lipo with its unique chassis layouts?
Yes, I run a normal lipo stick in my car, same way as kevh (above post). If you have a look around on here there will be some pictures
Old 17-01-2012
Mad Member

Haven't thought about the Old Nail much, as we're working hard on the X - 7 now.

First, make sure your belt is running perfectly straight by shimming the idler bracket in or out. If you must move it in, grind away a bit of chassis. To move out, either shim the bracket or shim the pulley itself.

What i haven't thought about is shorty pack. Weigh all four corners of your X - 5 with the Nimh pack and then put in the shorty and move things, especially the ESC around to get good balance and improved electronics mountig. I think shorty is a major + on the X - 5.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 22-01-2012

I'll give be converting it to lipo in the somewhat near future. Just received some spare belts. The track where I go in Los Angeles seems to really be picking up members. Generally 80 off-roaders there on a weekend.

However, I can tell you I'm the only one with an X-5. Should do some testing of the X-7 in LA Chaz!

Wait -any chance you are coming down to the Reedy Race next week at West-Coast RC?
Old 23-01-2012
Mad Member

Paul will have to miss the Reedy race -- just too much production work to do here, making SCX - 60CF parts and parts for the new X - 7 Gen 6.0, which hopefully is 6.last.

We will be at Cactus, which, for us, is relatively close to L.A. and we usually do the Shoot-Out. What track are you running at?

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 25-01-2012

I run at http://www.westcoastrcraceway.com/

Quite a nice setup and I like the atmosphere. Pretty good hobby shop there as well.

I've only just gotten back into this hobby (my x-5 was last car purchase) and was surprised to see attendance average 70 people on a a typical Saturday. This past Saturday I would estimate the numbers closer to 80 or more but I also noticed a sudden surge in team drivers (Associated, Losi, Kyosho).
Old 25-01-2012
Mad Member

Paul and I both want to be at the Reedy race, and Paul is talking about making a westward journey to run at WCRC prior to the Nats. But we just finished the MidWinter, and there's a J Concepts race in St. Louis, weekend after next I think, then Motorama. And we're trying to get the SCX - 60CF on the market, and Paul's got to make the new Gen 6.0 of the X - 7, and it just goes on. Something's got to give, and it was Reedy. Paul's never been there, and we want to go.

Good luck!

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 29-01-2012

Simple solution is to get me an x7 kit and you'll have a race rep in Los Angeles.
Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

Working on that as fast as possible. Paul will have the Gen 6.0 at Cactus, so come out to see it. Ellis will have his too, long before Cactus.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 31-01-2012

Would love to. Cactus being in AZ is not too far. Only a commuter plane away. It's all about schedule.

Chazz - I think I can speak for everyone in that your commitment and responsiveness - especially on these forums is impressive.

Funny, I sent notes on a business proposal to another RC company suggesting simple strategies to re-start and prioritize their US distribution - and its taken them two weeks so far to get back to me. Maybe they're on holiday.

If only other people were as responsive as you.
Old 31-01-2012
Mad Member

Thank you, Woulves.

The upside is that The Family is happy; that's our primary goal. This is all about having fun at our hobby. My direct E-mail is youngchazz@gmail.com

Downside is that all the time I spend here and on other boards takes time from other things: production, R & D, writing the SCX - 60CF manual, etc.

We like it this way. Communicating with The Family beats heck out of work!

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 31-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
What i haven't thought about is shorty pack. Weigh all four corners of your X - 5 with the Nimh pack and then put in the shorty and move things, especially the ESC around to get good balance and improved electronics mountig. I think shorty is a major + on the X - 5.
Shorty fits a treat in the X-5 Chazz

The car is super light, way to light for UK tracks, so balast weights can be strategically placed to balance the corner weights of the car.
Old 27-05-2012
Mad Member

Default A Great Find

Those of you who follow us on FB http://www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC will know we have just done a ton of work to update and upgrade our shop, adding new machines and re-positioning almost everything. That means we moved around a lot of stuff and poked our noses into some old boxes.

WE HAVE FOUND TWO ORIGINAL X - 5 CHASSIES! Part # 1000.

If you want an original (NOT Squared) X - 5 chassis, E-mail me YoungChazz@gmail.com . We will sell them to the first two E-mails I receive at the regular price.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com