Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 31-08-2013

Default lazer zxr for winter racer

Hi all. First of all i would like to thank you for the advice and help you gave me in a previous thread for my zx , but this car has now become spares for a lazer zxr . I have stripped cleaned and rebuilt the zxr to the manual. I am planning to use the car over winter at two venues but want to keep the car as original as possible or with period upgrades.
The items i have changed are the shock towers for carbon fibre items with the front having the much needed bridge for strength, associated plastic servo mounts. Also the pistons in the option house shocks for modern lazer mk5 items (w5181-03 piston set). I am using lipo saddles 5600mah 95c and brushless 6.5t hpi motor 100t spur with 23t pinion.

Before i put my pride and joy up against the new cars i thought i would ask for the knowledge from the expert vintage lazer racers.....

is the manual a good starting point for a set up of the car?
What shock oil/pistons and lb springs to use front and rear?
Will the slipper be up to the job with a 6.5t brushless?
Any weak areas for the car to watch for?

The track surfaces i will be racing on are a hard rubber floor(indoor running track) , also a mixture of carpet/polished floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130831_212813.jpg (483.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-09-2013

Keeps us up to date how you get on just getting my lazer zx ready for the winter after its last race with me in 91, I changed my spurs for the Teflon back in the day so staying with them.
Old 08-09-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
Hi all. First of all i would like to thank you for the advice and help you gave me in a previous thread for my zx , but this car has now become spares for a lazer zxr . I have stripped cleaned and rebuilt the zxr to the manual. I am planning to use the car over winter at two venues but want to keep the car as original as possible or with period upgrades.
The items i have changed are the shock towers for carbon fibre items with the front having the much needed bridge for strength, associated plastic servo mounts. Also the pistons in the option house shocks for modern lazer mk5 items (w5181-03 piston set). I am using lipo saddles 5600mah 95c and brushless 6.5t hpi motor 100t spur with 23t pinion.

Before i put my pride and joy up against the new cars i thought i would ask for the knowledge from the expert vintage lazer racers.....

The track surfaces i will be racing on are a hard rubber floor(indoor running track) , also a mixture of carpet/polished floor.

I think your going to snap the belt. Also you should be posting this on the main Lazer thread. Im designing a belt tensioner block to be attached to the gearbox but youll need to cut a section away to do it. Also slipper may not be up to the job either but with a tensioner fitted you can tighten the slipper. Tyres yellow mini pin work fine, gear ratio well id opt to start with a 23 and go up or down considering. Id go for less accelaration more top end to save the belt but would rather you used an 8.5 with the standard gearbox

Set up, well i used traxxas shocks but if you use kyosho shock seals and use three holes front 2 rear you could try 50 front 30 rear with schumacher grey front and schumacher white rear. May also try size 2 all round 35 frt 30 rear.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 03-10-2013

Had time to give my zxr a test at my local track yesterday. I Was very impressed with it but it did seem soft on the front end lifting inside front wheel in the corners. I will try thicker oil in front . I was happy testing and tweeking, camber etc.......then it happened! Rear belt broke!.....well thats what a thought, got home stripped gear box to find all the teeth had come off!
Old 03-10-2013

Quote:
Had time to give my zxr a test at my local track yesterday. I Was very impressed with it but it did seem soft on the front end lifting inside front wheel in the corners. I will try thicker oil in front . I was happy testing and tweeking, camber etc.......then it happened! Rear belt broke!.....well thats what a thought, got home stripped gear box to find all the teeth had come off!
Get a new LA11 and a new rear belt. Then before you rebuild it hold fire for a short time as I am almost done with my redesign as I have had a few carbon fibre brackets sent across to me and will try building this weekend and if happy will order some bits and pieces and sell as a small added kit with manual on how to fit the rear belt tensioner.

Also are you sure its not the rear you need to thicken. What surface are you running on and what oil and springs and pistons are you using? Also what tyres and inserts and are you using a roll bar?
Answer UK team driver
Old 03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post

.Also are you sure its not the rear you need to thicken. What surface are you running on and what oil and springs and pistons are you using? Also what tyres and inserts and are you using a roll bar?
Your belt tensioner sounds a good idea as my guess is the belt on the none drive side slaps about at speed and causes the belt to jump resulting in a broken or stripped belt.

i understand what you mean with the rear end, but on the track the rear seemed rigid with not much roll and in the corners it skipped/bounced a little, in the slow corners the car wanted to hook.
ive been testing my car on high grip astro but want to mainly use it indoors at two venues with a hard rubber floor ( indoor running track ) and also carpet/polished gym floor.

ive been testing the car on astro using scumacher yellow mini spikes with medium inserts outside row cut off front and rear. Also i have medium and soft foams and soft rubber slicks which i was thinking of trying indoor.

my set up so far is as follows....

FRONT
Option house shocks with zx5 fs piston 2-c, 35wt ae oil and original gold springs (maybe silver but i think gold as they look faded)
lower shock position is outside hole
upper shock position is 70mm apart (lots of holes to choose)
camber link on tower is top row 3rd hole in from outside.
been thinking about trying ae blue springs??

REAR
option house shocks with zx5 fs piston 2-b, 30wt ae oil and kit black springs.
lower shock position is middle hole
upper shock position is 75mm apart (again lots of holes to choose)
camber link on tower is top row outside hole
camber link on hub is middle hole top row.
rear brace is number 1 and position is as manual
been thinking about trying ae silver springs??

i do have the original black pistons with two holes and the red pistons with one square notch on the edge if they will be better to use?
I would like a roll bar but don't know were i could find one or if any can be made to fit from a current rc car...was thinking b44 or another one i seen which has little clips for mounting it.
Old 04-10-2013

Quote:
I would like a roll bar but don't know were i could find one or if any can be made to fit from a current rc car...was thinking b44 or another one i seen which has little clips for mounting it.
Pricey but a complete set is available on ebay. See link below.
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Kyosho-L...5#ht_330wt_932

Brgds,

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 06-10-2013

Hope these pictures help. If not just ask. FYI Lipo tray not yet fitted as the design was flawed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (53.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (35.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg rear hub.jpg (13.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg front hub.jpg (14.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Slipper.jpg (230.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Chassis 1.jpg (54.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Chassis 2.jpg (54.8 KB, 53 views)
Answer UK team driver
Old 23-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:

you have a front gearbox saver

plastic ???? closer pic please

olike you know where to ask ....

mvh isobarik
Old 23-08-2014

Iso,

I believe its the shock tower brace that i prefer that he is on about.
Answer UK team driver
Old 23-08-2014

isobarik pics for you. since this thread i have made myself a few items that i found to be weak with using fast modern electrics....list so far on what i have changed.......
carbon chassis and top deck
self made impact supports for front gearbox shock tower mounting.
self made adjustable belt tensioners front and rear.
self made 7075 alloy beefed up front hinge pin braces, front and rear brace is 10mm thick extra 3mm over originals.
uprated slipper pads
when i get time at work a layshaft with built in la11 pulleys as i dont like the front one way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140823_103525.jpg (370.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20140823_103514.jpg (393.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 23-08-2014

Quote:
isobarik pics for you. since this thread i have made myself a few items that i found to be weak with using fast modern electrics....list so far on what i have changed.......
carbon chassis and top deck
self made impact supports for front gearbox shock tower mounting.
self made adjustable belt tensioners front and rear.
self made 7075 alloy beefed up front hinge pin braces, front and rear brace is 10mm thick extra 3mm over originals.
uprated slipper pads
when i get time at work a layshaft with built in la11 pulleys as i dont like the front one way
I forgot about that, if you add a brace to the tower as well itll be much stronger but never the less great idea.
Answer UK team driver
Old 23-08-2014

do you mean like this front tower in the picture? any idea who made this one? its not the best looking but it does the job. i have drawn my own up just need to send it to fibrelyte and have them make it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140219_191750.jpg (357.0 KB, 28 views)