Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 25-03-2016

Default Tyler Liddle RC Diary

Hi my name is Tyler liddle, Iam 10 years old.I thought I would start a little thread to show how much I love my hobbie. First off a little history about me and my hobbie (RC racing).
For my sixth birthday I fortunately got an RC car as my dad raced at that time,it was a B4.1 team associated 2WD. I enjoyed messing around with it on the local field.

[IMG][/IMG]

I went to my first RC club at six, with my dad, not long after my birthday. The club was Seaham youth centre or (NEAM) as it is also called. It was the first time I had a go on a real track, it was
astounding, and it was half carpet and the other half polished,slippy wood floor with jumps and obstacle. The track was mainly laid out with thick ropes to direct the lanes.

Watching the other drivers go around the track was much easier than it actually was. I was running with the standard ready to run steering wheel controller. Although it was quit difficult at first I really enjoyed it and couldn't resist to go back the following week...

Here is a link to my first race
https://youtu.be/_8diVFHTk8A

since i found RC driving super fun, I continued to race at Seham and gradually i got better week after week. The fun part wasn't just driving but also experimenting with new and complex settings in addition to my car. However, changing the car was kind of hard to get used to sometimes.

To present I have had many different race meetings including: the Bradbury cup, the oople race,the European warm up and the north east regionals and nationals ETC. Not only did I explore the content of new race meeting but cars as well: associated B44 4WD, yokomo B max 2 2WD, yokomo B max 4 4WD, kyosho RB6 2WD and the kyosho ZX6 4WD. also i have achieved many different medals/trophies due to good driving or participating, including: under 13 seeded 2WD north east champion for 2013/2015 as well as under 13 seeded 4WD north east champion for 2014.
[IMG][/IMG]

here is a picture of my current buggies
kyosho
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 26-03-2016

At the weekend i went to a particularly special race meeting called the Bradbury Cup, it was the first outdoor race of the season and it was held at Robin Hood Raceway.
[IMG][/IMG]

Everyone had a round of practice including me. My buggy was grip rolling a lot, when we got back to the pits "me and my Dad" I asked my dad to put some worn mini spikes on with the outer row of tyre cut off.

Quick thanks to Lee Freeman for charging our batteries, as our leisure battery wasn't working

Round one went really well the tyres worked and my buggy stopped grip rolling
.I had a good clean race.My car was a little slow but was great on the infield, I finished in my heat with 10 laps in 5m.30sec
[IMG][/IMG]

Round two went considerably well again but the buggy was yet again a bit slow on the long straight but surprisingly i managed to beat the other race drivers on the infield. I had two crucial mistakes so I finished with a time of 9 laps which was a bit disappointing because I missed 10 by a second.
[IMG][/IMG]

Round three, My Dad turned the endpoint up on my buggy by 5% my buggy was still slower compared to the other cars bout it helped me get a better feel and i could clear the jumps more easy and I improved on both of my previous rounds and so I finished 3rd in my heat with a time of 10 laps in 5m.21sec
[IMG][/IMG]

Round four went astoundingly well as on the previous round I was driving clean so my Dad had gladly turned up the end point on my buggy by 5%. It was at 90% now and I didn't need to judge the track as much. I raced clean and got my fastest lap time of the day (29.84 seconds) also my best time of the day at 10 laps in 5m.17sec. I was pleased with my driving and looking forward to the finals.
[IMG][/IMG]

As the end of qualifying was closed the sky went dark and the temperature had droped meaning that the air was cool and moist.The finals got posted and we were pleased, top position in the D final against other drivers who I am generally behind. Although last in the C final would have took the pressure off a lot!
[IMG][/IMG]

The final was a disaster, but I learned a lot. my tyres were to worn and with the air being cooler and more moist the track had a really Greesey feel compared to my heats. I struggled for grip. I tried to lead away but the 2nd place was trying to get past and unfortunately we came into contact and I came out worst ending up near the straight. I chased the pack and retrieved a couple of positions but I hit a pile of cars on the corner this span my car around and another car hit me leading me to break the arm buckle on my car. My race was over!
I learned a lot from that meeting and enjoyed the different format of all rounds to count and bump up finals.
I cant wait to go to Robin Hood Raceway in two weeks for regionals

here is a short video of the start of my final
https://youtu.be/ea7I486n7Ek

Last edited by Tyler Liddle; 26-03-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 26-03-2016

I saw the final clip it looked really messy and such a spoiler.
But having a race diary is a great idea keep it up
Old 26-03-2016
Mad Member

Well done Tyler! Good to see local talent coming through the ranks!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 26-03-2016
Mad Member

Nice 1 ty
Old 04-04-2016

Sunday 3rd of April 2016,
When we arrived at Seaham youth centre, there was around 30 drivers there, the track was getting built so I went to help to build it. I was surprised to see that it was a very interesting and different track as there were many obstacles and also that the main jump was on the opposite side of the track to usual.
[IMG][/IMG]

Going into rd 1 I new there was a few sections that would be tricky to drive at speed so i just went steady and tried my best for a clean run. It ended decent i won my heat with a time of 16 laps in 314 seconds.
My Kyosho RB was feeling great and super easy to drive.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD2
we changed nothing on the buggy for this round just checked and cleaned it. I had another solid consistent run and getting a bit more used to the layout i took 10s off my previous time.
i finished with 16 laps in 304 seconds.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD3
for this round i was hoping for a better time again as we turned the buggy up 5% in the end point. Although it was only a small amount i could turn a decent lap but was making more mistakes and my buggy felt edgy and not as consistent as the previous rds. i also had a bit of bad luck with coming together other buggies in this rd. I finished with a time of 16 laps in 304 seconds again.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD4
We thought we would try and keep the speed so left the end point up on the car as it was the previous rd. My dad cut the outer row of spikes off my rear tyres (yellow mini spikes) to try and make it a bit less edgy at the faster speed. I achieved my best run of the night despite hitting a overturned car on my last lap and loosing 5-6 seconds.i still finished with 17 laps in 316 seconds i also got my best lap of the night of 17.19

[IMG][/IMG]

After all the rounds of qualifying i finished 11th which put me 4th in the B final

[IMG][/IMG]

We lined up on the final on the straight in our grid order and waited for the count down,I got a decent start but unfortunately on the 2nd corner i ran wide and a buggy came on my inside and we contacted and i rolled over onto my roof. All of the other buggies passed and i thought my race was over,then i thought just keep it cool and clean and see what happens.i just put my head down trying to laps and do my own race and ignor the other cars i some how managed to get back upto second place i was catching the leader but ran out of time my buggy felt great and i was pleased with my driving.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is a video of my race i am the red buggy in the first race on the video

https://youtu.be/O0dUFlFJWbc