Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-08-2008

Default 4wd buggy tires...

I am about to buy a Durga kit and I am wondering about tires. Why do 1/10 scale 4wd buggies have a wide rear and skinny front, but 1/8 scale uses skinny all around? And I am also wondering if I can use wide rears all around, what are the cons of this? The track I run on is out doors and is like a hard pack clay/dirt with fine dust on it, any tire recommendations that won't wear out quickly would be appreciated too : D
Old 14-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper7016 View Post
...I am also wondering if I can use wide rears all around, what are the cons of this?...
Oversteer Rear wheels won't on the front of 4WD cars [i think] and would give too much front grip, so I wouldn't
Old 14-08-2008

I tried wide rear wheels in the front and also I glued rear tires on narrow front wheels. There was no sign of oversteer. But still it is definitely worth to try. Wide wheels in the front made car (car become 30mm wider) very stable on extremely bumpy track and acceleration was better. Unfortunately i did not have time to finish my long rear suspension arm project. It should be prety useful on 1/8 car tracks.
Wide tires on narrow wheels is also interesting. Due to ballooning, diameter is increasing and result looks similar to overdriving like on TRF501. Again this was good for stability on very bumpy road. I do not now why but turning was still bad. Maybe Bow Tie tires where not the best ones for my very loose test surface.

i think turning was best in case of wide wheels and tires in the front, quite close to ordinary wheels.

Best non wearing tires are Durga own tires. There is never any grip and car never turns but as i wrote, those tires do not wear at all.