Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 12-05-2009
Lee-Mag

Tom has a very aggressive style of driving, his car never has all the wheels on the ground, some call it "crisis management". On the other hand i have a very smooth style and hardly ever use full throttle and thats probably why im slower but i feel the one way suits me best as well it just pulls better out of the corner and feels nicer. The only quick way to drive these cars is using the brakes, i have tried over the winter and also rally x is helping me to do this.

One thing i was told by bradders that stuck in my head was, you never see rossi or hamilton coasting up to a corner, they are either on the power or on the brakes.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Tom has a very aggressive style of driving, his car never has all the wheels on the ground, some call it "crisis management". On the other hand i have a very smooth style and hardly ever use full throttle and thats probably why im slower but i feel the one way suits me best as well it just pulls better out of the corner and feels nicer. The only quick way to drive these cars is using the brakes, i have tried over the winter and also rally x is helping me to do this.

One thing i was told by bradders that stuck in my head was, you never see rossi or hamilton coasting up to a corner, they are either on the power or on the brakes.
Rossi or Hamilton don't have Talywain style bumps and jumps to contend with mate. I'm all for the diff in the front!!!
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

Thx! I'll try 10x cups of coffee and some RedBulls before I start driving then

And where can I get a cool & good LiPo brace for the X-5 now? DMS? A-C? NorTech? (webshop)

Does DMS carry Schumi tyres btw?

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 12-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Hi SHY, long time no speak....

We have a LIPO barce on its way for the X5 Sq, should be here any day now...

And yes we dos tock the full range of Schumacher tyres too, just kept supply you the required Red Bull!!

Cheers, Darren
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

Life's busy

Can I pre order it on your webshop?

We ran the first Nats round this weekend and 3x X-6s were in the A final. The two "newbies" to it seemed to like it a lot!

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 12-05-2009

I run a one-way almost exclusively in 4wd, I just can't get the hang of running a normal diff. I'm going to try it again soon though.

Ellis ran a similar setup on Sunday to what I posted, except he was using a normal diff and his car was quick too, so it can work with both.

Regarding the weight. Ellis has done a lot of work with the X6 over winter and found that the car just seems to be better at higher weights. With the added lead, it also allows us to easily change the weight distribution when it rains and the track becomes slick, which is a major advantage for us.

With the X5 I have some weights made that can be added to it to increase the weight, but so far have found it more responsive and generally better without them so I don't use any extra weight.
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

Yeah, 4WD is really great I think with the lower weight! You can really abuse them without them traction rolling now!

So when slippery you... move weight to the rear of the X-6?

I tested my X-6 at 1860 grams, with the brass bulkhead + lead behind servo, under ESC in the middle, and under the batteries... and I could hardly drive it! It spun around easily, and was hard to get over the jumps. Took away all the weights >> ten times better!

This was on a packed dirt track with some carpet. Med grip. Setup orange springs front, yellow in the back. Red pistons front/rear. Otherwise std. Ellis setup.

This weekend on astro I found the read end to bee a bit to soft. Making it bottom out in the rear after one jump. And generally a bit too lively. Tried with harder rear springs, but it didn't help that much. And the car looks VERY high on the track whilst the B4s are flat as pancakes...

Visit my showroom
Old 12-05-2009

Yeh, when it's slippery we move the weight to the back. I personally take 65g out from under the servo and put 65g in under the battery.

That sounds like you had a lot of weight up front. With a Trishbits Brass Bulkhead (43g) I had to run very little other weight to get the correct distribution (35/65). This is probably why it spun so easily.

I think I've always run a pink rear spring, even on dirt, and normally a black front spring on high grip. For lower grip/dirt I'd probably start with Ellis' standard setup but a green front spring and 65-67% rear weight, still at 1700g+.

We also tend to run quite high around 25mm. Again Ellis found that this made the car better over bumps and stopped the car leaning over in corners as much, and without grip rolling.
Old 12-05-2009
Lee-Mag

Tom, have you tried the cells in the X5 like i ran at southport? I gave it a run the other week and it all felt good, i also went to a red spring up front and it was really nice, it didn't snatch like it was with the greens and blues

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 12-05-2009

God dag SHY, good to see you back here!

You can find lightweight setups on 2wdrc.com and on RC Tech. I tried to use them on Astro tracks, take a look at this thread :
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20925

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
Sidetrack: I cannot get a gain from a front one-way, so I wonder if my driving style needs to be changed. When coasting with a diff vs. one-way I feel no difference. And if you apply throttle it just pushes out. Whilst a diff makes the car much more stable under acceleration on bumpy and/or uphill parts. (I typically brake, then just coast) Do you guys kinda rally style set up the car before the corner and then "power slide" through the corners with the one-way?
Regarding one-ways, I have found that one-way diffs are good on grippy tracks but makes my car understeer horribly on slick, dusty tracks when applying throttle out of the corner. The front end acts like a spool and just slides out. You can overcome this by throwing the car on the corner and power slide it like you say, but I can't do it lap after lap, so front diff for me. Center one-ways don't act the same as there is no spool effect coming out of the corner.

Hope this helps

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 12-05-2009
Mad Member

@Cockerill: Aha!!! So away with the brass bulkhead then! It all makes sense now

@Gayo: Bonjour mon ami! Exactly! I did the same conclusion, especially in the finals it's so much easier to fight for positions with a diff up front. With the one-way I've got enough with keeping my own shit together

Thx guys!

Visit my showroom
Old 13-05-2009
Mad Member

When using Ellis' setup the X-6 has bump-in steer and camber change. Is that right?

Visit my showroom
Old 14-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post

We ran the first Nats round this weekend and 3x X-6s were in the A final. The two "newbies" to it seemed to like it a lot!
I am one of the newbies, and I did indeed like the car a lot, I actually ALMOST beat SHY

I have had no time to test the car, and certainly not on astro, but I ended up using Ellis's "base" setup, but with silver springs up front for a litlle bit more steering. I actually ran the car 15g over the minimum weight limit, with some lead under the esc.

Only thing I felt was that the car bottomed out on the heaviest landings.

We also had rain in the last a-main, and it seemed that my car handled the slippery conditions far better than both the B4s and the other X6s, maybe because of the weight??
Old 14-05-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

I would say that if you're that light you dont have enough lead in the FRONT (hence feeling the need for silver springs), which is what we do in the rain. So you've effectivly set it up perfectly for the rain, that also goes pretty well in the dry.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 14-05-2009
Lee-Mag

Where are people getting their lead plates from?

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 14-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to jono83

i have got loads pm if you want
Old 14-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
I would say that if you're that light you dont have enough lead in the FRONT (hence feeling the need for silver springs), which is what we do in the rain. So you've effectivly set it up perfectly for the rain, that also goes pretty well in the dry.
As Dan says for dirt or a slick track I would run my car with a lot less front weight, I would either move it to the rear or remove it all together.

But for a high bite track load up the front.

Lee you should have lead flashing on your house, just trim some off
Old 14-05-2009

Thanks,

back to SHY's comment, his car looked really high on the track, yes, and mine was a lot lower, but as you mentioned, before the rain came, the grip was good, and I did experience a lot of traction roll, especially in the high speed sweeper...

Looks like I have found a good wet/slippery-setup then Just need to work on the high-grip one.

BTW, this forum is really helpful
Old 14-05-2009

Could someone post Big E's setup, the file wont work on my pc.

thanks, Jay
Old 14-05-2009
Lee-Mag

Here you go, the document was protected so i couldn't copy and paste

Front

Ride Height Arms level 25mm
Camber -1
Toe out 1 deg
Camber link 2B with 2 washers
Caster block 30deg (forward)
2 bump steer spacers 0 inside
Trailing axle (low)