Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 17-12-2012
Mad Member

Look i'm sorry to all !
I've been in this sport for 30+ years as a child racer, club helper and father !

I've been sat in the tent with a pencil, paper and a stopwatch shouting out car numbers to count racers laps.

I welcomed the Handouts Transponders when they came on the scene, thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, gave clubs accurancy to lap counting.

I had a small break when Personal Transponders came on the scene but again thought this was a great idea, you could put it where you wanted it, noy drilled into your wing or body shell, body pins flying loose and not counting your laps and you didn't have to cue and remeber to put it on and off to race.

I don't want to seem as the bad guy here, nothing could be further from the truth, i'm all for the sport as it is my hobby to after all !

I only post what I see, I have AMB/Mylaps and see that the upgrade is Mylaps looking after my products, customer service is one view, and making sure they count each and every one of my laps, I don't want the opposite for MRT users, have never stated I did.
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 18-12-2012

In a way it could be a good thing for the smaller clubs as the market will be flooded with 2nd hand digital decodes and pt's
Old 18-12-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
In a way it could be a good thing for the smaller clubs as the market will be flooded with 2nd hand digital decodes and pt's
pretty sure its a software upgrade, and not a new unit?
Old 18-12-2012

Doh
Old 18-12-2012

Its threads like this that is rapidly putting me off this site, along with looking terrible for potential newbies to the hobby/sport.

All this arguing is pointless (much like this post tbh) we can do nothing about this, the clubs will make their decisions and we (if we race at those clubs) have to follow that decision or race elsewhere.

I have no doubt a workable solution will come to light, until then you pays your money and takes your choice. You know what they say about arguing on the internet .......... although some on here seem to get off on it / make it a full time job !
Old 18-12-2012

no responce to this then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
non of my 8 AMB/Mylaps PT's have ever missed a lap !

so i'm happy not to sign
So your amb, mylap Harry's have never missed you a lap, on rc2 and rc3

Remind my why you think we need rc4 again?

Quote:
I have AMB/Mylaps and see that the upgrade is Mylaps looking after my products, customer service is one view, and making sure they count each and every one of my laps, I don't want the opposite for MRT users, have never stated I did.
so if you dont want mrt owners not to have thier laps counted, and your amb/mylaps are counting ok, and your for the sport hobby, do you agree rc4 is not a good move?
Old 18-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
Its threads like this that is rapidly putting me off this site, along with looking terrible for potential newbies to the hobby/sport.

All this arguing is pointless (much like this post tbh) we can do nothing about this, the clubs will make their decisions and we (if we race at those clubs) have to follow that decision or race elsewhere.

I have no doubt a workable solution will come to light, until then you pays your money and takes your choice. You know what they say about arguing on the internet .......... although some on here seem to get off on it / make it a full time job !

this is a real time live forum and people argue/disagree were not in a nanny state where everyone is wrapped in cotton wool agreeing with everyone. we can do somthing as racer/club members look at york, they have taken a decision and somthing has been done. im sure when i see knighthawk at a meeting we will chat and talk as normal
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Guys guys guys, if I feel I need to be the voice of reason then something must be far out of left feild!!!

I think this will be a non-issue. Most of the clubs will decided that they don't need to change / upgrade so won't so it won't affect 95% of racers.

If a national section decides it must go RC4 then they will, the racers dedicated to that section will run the appropriate PT for that section at nationals (and thus probably everywhere else as if they have any sense they will get a Harry as it works on both).

Those who aren't prepared to change PT aren't dedicated to that class so will find a different one to race, afterall the majority of racers at national level LIKE to have (not necessarily need to have) the latest greatest kit so change regularly anyway!!

The only potential losers, as I see it are MyLaps as nobody in their right mind would currently buy a Percy if they do their research. Even a newbie, a class of club racer that isn't known for forward planning, will almost certainly show up at their first meeting without any transponder. Their prospective club is likely to say "go get a Harry PT for these reasons" and point them to the info on the BBK site. They MIGHT feel the need to add, as I would, "you'll probably be ok with an MRT at this club and MOST around here BUT you might find that you need to change in the future so bare that in mind".

There is one issue I can see. If a decoder breaks and has to be repaired and goes back to the club with an unrequested "upgrade" to RC4 that will cause issues for the club. In that situation I would hope that MyLaps would revert the decoder to RC3 for them.
With that in mind it might be worth the clubs remembering to specify they want RC3 firmware following any repairs!!
Old 18-12-2012

Ok, Having read this thread I decided to take a look at my MRT transponder. Attached is the output as seen on a 500Mhz scope. It appears to send data packets of around 100us in length these are not equually spaced and not identical. the fist few bits and last bits of each packet is so I assume this is the lead in and end word, but the middle is different. I will try to decipher the transmission protocol so I can understand it. Anyone else fancy doing the same to a harry?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek00085.jpg (21.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 18-12-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg200 View Post
Ok, Having read this thread I decided to take a look at my MRT transponder. Attached is the output as seen on a 500Mhz scope. It appears to send data packets of around 100us in length these are not equually spaced and not identical. the fist few bits and last bits of each packet is so I assume this is the lead in and end word, but the middle is different. I will try to decipher the transmission protocol so I can understand it. Anyone else fancy doing the same to a harry?
Matt, you can borrow my AMB RC if you're in the area. It's not a Harry, but an original one.
Other than that you might as well be speaking Klingon. Infact, if you were I would probably understand more of what you just said!

Last edited by Col; 18-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
The 'Harry' will work best on all systems, approx 300% better hit rate re: Rob Nelson's comments on Facebook !

Dave I don't understand your comments, if you invested millions in R&D into a product then a company used your data you produce their own using your system you'd do something about it wouldn't you ?
I take it you have a Black PT and as such hence the comments.
About the only thing I am 100% sure of is I wouldn't do all that then pretend I had really done it to "improve the system".
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Guys guys guys, if I feel I need to be the voice of reason then something must be far out of left feild!!!

I think this will be a non-issue. Most of the clubs will decided that they don't need to change / upgrade so won't so it won't affect 95% of racers.

If a national section decides it must go RC4 then they will, the racers dedicated to that section will run the appropriate PT for that section at nationals (and thus probably everywhere else as if they have any sense they will get a Harry as it works on both).

Those who aren't prepared to change PT aren't dedicated to that class so will find a different one to race, afterall the majority of racers at national level LIKE to have (not necessarily need to have) the latest greatest kit so change regularly anyway!!

The only potential losers, as I see it are MyLaps as nobody in their right mind would currently buy a Percy if they do their research. Even a newbie, a class of club racer that isn't known for forward planning, will almost certainly show up at their first meeting without any transponder. Their prospective club is likely to say "go get a Harry PT for these reasons" and point them to the info on the BBK site. They MIGHT feel the need to add, as I would, "you'll probably be ok with an MRT at this club and MOST around here BUT you might find that you need to change in the future so bare that in mind".

There is one issue I can see. If a decoder breaks and has to be repaired and goes back to the club with an unrequested "upgrade" to RC4 that will cause issues for the club. In that situation I would hope that MyLaps would revert the decoder to RC3 for them.
With that in mind it might be worth the clubs remembering to specify they want RC3 firmware following any repairs!!
Yep, and that's what I was after, the only sensible thing to buy right now is a Harry.

I'll probably get one for the pit box as a backup in case I race somewhere that uses the new system, that's 300% better than the 100% correct old system.
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree with roger, why is this thred such a bun fight.

the new software will support ALL amb pt's, the only problem is the rc4 is the only software able to recive from a percy so It must be clearly stated on the pack that this is the case so as to stop a new racer, with no knowledge of this buying one only to find he can't use it at many clubs yet.

As long as harrys are readily available to buy I see no problem as the rc4 software will receive their signal.

You realy can't expect in this day and age a company to happily watch another make money from their product, in this case MRT. AMB want us all to now be buying amb transponders, so they can have the money, as it's all about the money these days is it not?

Now if the new system only recived the percy signal, and we were all being forced to buy new percys then I could understand this sort of uproar!

Also just for the record, I'm no lover of AMB, I think it's way over priced and if someone like mrt could make something for half the price I would love to see Amb break a sweat.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
I agree with roger, why is this thred such a bun fight.

the new software will support ALL amb pt's, the only problem is the rc4 is the only software able to recive from a percy so It must be clearly stated on the pack that this is the case so as to stop a new racer, with no knowledge of this buying one only to find he can't use it at many clubs yet.

As long as harrys are readily available to buy I see no problem as the rc4 software will receive their signal.

You realy can't expect in this day and age a company to happily watch another make money from their product, in this case MRT. AMB want us all to now be buying amb transponders, so they can have the money, as it's all about the money these days is it not?

Now if the new system only recived the percy signal, and we were all being forced to buy new percys then I could understand this sort of uproar!

Also just for the record, I'm no lover of AMB, I think it's way over priced and if someone like mrt could make something for half the price I would love to see Amb break a sweat.
Do you not see the obvious next step from AMB though?

Namely, they'll discontinue "Harry" meaning the new tp is the only one available, to try to force clubs into an rc4 upgrade?

I wonder if they have confirmed yet that if your rc3 system goes down they'll repair it without forcing you to go to rc4?
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Do you not see the obvious next step from AMB though?

Namely, they'll discontinue "Harry" meaning the new tp is the only one available, to try to force clubs into an rc4 upgrade?

I wonder if they have confirmed yet that if your rc3 system goes down they'll repair it without forcing you to go to rc4?
Yes to be honest I do, and sadly we are lambs to the slaughter, as the BRCA are dependant on their systems as are most clubs in the uk, and with no real competitor in the market place AMB can do as they wish, and what can we do? vote with our feet?? they are laughing all the way to the bank!

They could stop producing the harry next month, only selling the percy, thus forcing clubs to all upgrade at the same time £££ sweet.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 18-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Slight problem there - That just plays into MRT's hands.
Can't get a Harry but your club is still RC3? You could always buy an MRT. Clubs RC3/2 decoder died and Mylaps want to replace it with an RC4? I'm pretty sure that MRT's guys could repair it whilst still keeping it RC3 spec even if they can't build a duplicate.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 18-12-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

MPG200 - the real interesting thing would be to be able to run that test with an original AMB RC and a MRT clone of it - as clearly there must be some differences.
Old 19-12-2012

Stormer Hobbies in US are advertising mylaps RC4 transponders which they say are compatable with older amb RC2/RC3 timing systems!!
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=MYL1000

Last edited by Col; 19-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

That's correct, as that's the "RC4 Hybrid", it's the "RC4 Pure" that isn't compatible with older decoders.
Old 19-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I'm sorry but 300% better? Really? Sounds BS to me, mostly because in my experience virtually all missed laps are a result of operator error ie the race director or driver. Consequently they are rare at any well run club
so. please explain to me how the hell the race director can make your car lose laps ??????????????