Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 17-10-2007

Can't really see a lot from the pictures. Why is it better than the 3Racing? The 3Racing ones cannot accept side-by-side cells?
Old 17-10-2007

3Racing Chassis can't acept side by side bateries without a previous dremel work in the aluminium suports. You also should protect with tape all the aluminiun parts to aboid short circuits. Finally is quite difficult to insert the side by side bateries once the car is finish.
Old 17-10-2007

Oh okay. Thanks for that info.
Old 24-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelstenToo View Post
It's nearly finished now, so here's a photo!
Hi Belsen, Is the car finished now?, how's it going.

Quick question from the photo it looks like you have fitted the tamiya heat sinks and 3 racing gear box stiffener. I did not think you could fit both at the same time? any mods required?
Old 26-10-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairySteve View Post
I made up an undertray using lexan sheet.
Where did you buy the lexan from or does anyone know of a suitable undertray that'll fit without to much cutting?
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 26-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
Hi Belsen, Is the car finished now?, how's it going.

Quick question from the photo it looks like you have fitted the tamiya heat sinks and 3 racing gear box stiffener. I did not think you could fit both at the same time? any mods required?
Hi Rob, I've made some changes to my DF03, I'll try and post some more photos.

But the tamiya heat sinks and the 3 racing gear box stiffener fit without any mods at all.

I'll update the DF-03 winter project topic with pics.
Old 30-10-2007

Hi all

im using the 3Racing graphite conversion kit, tamiya hop up suspension, 3racing graphite towers and CVAs.

The buggy goes excellent with my mamba 7700, and take note that Im running in a 1/8 buggy track.

the only problem is I broke two rear arms due wrong landings...

but anyway is a lot better broking arms than a chassis, and I broke 3 of them!!
Old 18-08-2008

Does anyone know if there is an undertray that will fit the Df-03 chassis (particularly for the 3Racing) so the underside can be protected? I'm thinking since the battery is loaded from underneath, probably a 3M chassis protector tape would work better then a lexan?
Old 25-08-2008

I received my 3Racing chassis last week. I'm very impressed! I didn't really hope for much seeing as how this was another product from HK... To my surprise, this chassis kit is very high in quality! I can tell that they carefully selected the hole sizes (M3 and M2.6 screws in the right place), and the chassis are thick, 3mm cut...

Their shock towers are also very high quality, very beefy 3mm cuts...

Does anyone here use this chassis as well? How did you mitigate the scratching underneath? Is there an undertray from another vehicle that I can run that is close to the shape of the DF-03 chassis?
Old 26-08-2008

I finally got to go home today.And there it was sitting on my desk.My chassis conversion form KM and some other alluminum goodies.I can 't wait to get started on this project and start running it.I will get some pics on as well as the project unfolds.
Old 26-08-2008

Sweeeeeeeeeet. Would love to see your ride after it's done Animal! Keep us posted!
Old 26-08-2008

here is my old one, I have sold it though

Old 26-08-2008

Smile

I plan on starting it today.
Old 27-08-2008

Well i started the build today.Everything was going great i got the rearend done buit the chassis mounted the rearend.Starting to look great.So i started on the front gearbox(this is when things go bad)I started on the front diff I have it all ready to go.I start to thread the bolt in throught the diff into the lock nut.When its strips the plastic holder the nut sits in.
So now iam like shit i cant get it to tighten and i can't get to loosen back up to take it apart.So iam sitting just flaming mad.I take a break and get on the net to start looking for parts.Haveing a hard time finding the stock screw kits for this buggy.Not sure what iam going to do there.Anyway back ti the buggy so i go back out looking at the diff think what iam going to have to do to get this apart first thing that comes to mind is iam going to have to dremel my hub off the one side.(i really don't want to do that)To make a long story shory i ended up putting some tire glue down the hub and glue the plastic to the side and was able to get the nut and bolt out.Now i have to still find some parts.I guess it all happens for a reason Now iam going to go ahead and order the front oneway and some other goodies this weeks.
Old 28-08-2008

DCM, a few question about your DF-03:

1) Did you break any parts while you had that car? If so, which parts did you break the most?

2) How did you protect the chassis from nasty scratches? Did you use a chassis tape like the one from 3M?

3) How did you thread the antenna through the that antenna holder? The slot in that holder seems too narrow and it seems to cut into the insulator of the antenna, was thinking about getting another after-market antenna holder (like a duratrax one or something)...

4) What was the advantage of turning the shocks the other way? I know that the stock rear arms has the extra set of mounting holes in the rear for some strange reason, what would be the best reason for doing so?

5) Final question, did you notice that the center drive shaft rubbed against the top deck of that chassis? I'm thinking about breaking in the car with a dummy motor on my motor-break-in function of my charger and just let it wear down before taking it to the track...

------

Animal, one thing to also take caution is to make sure you have the "rack" portion of the steering rack in the right direction. I had it flipped the other way around, which meant it looked more like a "n" when the nose is pointing upwards from the top view instead of looking like a "u". This caused my steering to be SEVERELY limited and I was dumbfounded for hours trying to figure out why this car had such a limited steering

After fixing this, I get full travel, up until it hits the center mounting nub of the lower gear box. People have shaved that down to get more steering travel, but I'm using an aluminum one so I'll have to mill it out...

------

Here are some Preliminary pics of my DF-03MS. Will list all the hop-up and upgrades after it's finished. I'm REALLY falling in love with the chassis type, the DF-03, the front kickup is fantastic for a 4WD! The layout seems like it was born out of a 2WD vehicle...

Old 28-08-2008

DCM, a few question about your DF-03:

1) Did you break any parts while you had that car? If so, which parts did you break the most?

I didn't break much, but then I didn't run it much either, the spares weren't available much, and that stopped me really running it.

2) How did you protect the chassis from nasty scratches? Did you use a chassis tape like the one from 3M?

I didn't, but you could use the Associated Chassis protection sheet?

3) How did you thread the antenna through the that antenna holder? The slot in that holder seems too narrow and it seems to cut into the insulator of the antenna, was thinking about getting another after-market antenna holder (like a duratrax one or something)...

I honestly can't remember, but don't seem to of had a problem with them in the past..

4) What was the advantage of turning the shocks the other way? I know that the stock rear arms has the extra set of mounting holes in the rear for some strange reason, what would be the best reason for doing so?

I did that, from memory, so I didn't have to have a two piece rear shock tower, so I made a single piece tower and mounted the shocks off the rear.

5) Final question, did you notice that the center drive shaft rubbed against the top deck of that chassis? I'm thinking about breaking in the car with a dummy motor on my motor-break-in function of my charger and just let it wear down before taking it to the track...

I did lots of trimming and stuff on the car, and yes, it is worth bedding the car in on a motor
Old 28-08-2008

Animal, you can try some of the diff rebuild kit for Tamiya's other cars. Just make sure you have a 2x25mm partially threaded bolt and the T-Nut...

DCM, thanks for the info. I'm a little wary of running this car due to the lack of parts support... I wish the rear gear box, moving parts such as the diffs, were stocked at some hobby store out there... Maybe buying a cheap dark impact kit would be the way to go with getting spare parts (but what an ugly way to get spare parts)...
Old 29-08-2008

Are there any sway bar/anti-roll bar kit for this car? There's obvious provisions for them looking at the front and rear gear box. If not, is there a kit meant for another car fit this car?
Old 29-08-2008

Animal, try ordering it direct if you can't find the parts at your local hobby shop:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...s&kit_id=49496

Their prices aren't outrageous, will save you from buying a whole new kit for parts...
Old 01-09-2008

Well i think i finally.Got the front diff worked out.I ended up going to a couple of shops and found parts from AE and Losi to make it work.I was going to order it through are shop but had a hell of a time finding what i needed.So i went ahead and ordered 2 more df-03ms kits just to make sure i have some parts.Anyway i plan on getting back to it this week.