Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 15-07-2008

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
Lonestar, can you measure the offset on your Losi wheels and we can then measure the offset on the Tamiya wheels to put your mind to rest.
thanks - sounds like the only reliable way to go indeed Will do that and post the measurement tonite - thanks for your patience guys

Paul
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Hi guys - sounds like we are having a debate and conflicting opinions here... which is good, but also proves that this is not really a trivial question.

I did get a confirmation that B4 and B44 rear wheels are different in some cases. Actually the older B4 rims and the newer ones don't have the same offset, it actually depends on when they were bought, despite the same part # on AE's website. So it's a bit more complex thand this after all

Anyone else ?

thanks,
Paul
ive never head of his when did ae change the b4 rims? as a AE hardcore fan and having a b4 from day one ive never know the offset to chage? who confirmed it

the b3 wheels are not the same as b4 wheels

and also when i put in an order with cml last month for b44 wheels they sent b4 rears, i did check with the Rep and he said it was right.

as far as i know the losi wheels since the xxx4 are the same and never changed the older style and Ballistic buggy wheels are slightly narrower
Old 15-07-2008
Super Moderator

But there are two different diameters of AE rims

G
Old 15-07-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

they are slightly different ribbin on the inside I believe, but AE B4/B44/Losi/Tamiya DB01/501X WE rear wheels all have the same off-set as each other.
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
But there are two different diameters of AE rims

G
you on about the EFRA banned 2.2.1 rims that where out years ago and called back?
Old 15-07-2008
Super Moderator

Called back? Not from my garage
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

or from my loft

remeber reading it on RC10B4

any way

from the b44 part manual on CML- look under wheels and tyres and it says b4 rear wheel and the part number 9589

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...44_Catalog.pdf

and this from a shop that sells AE stuff

AS9589 Associated B4/B44 Rear Wheel, White

Tough / lightweight

· Stylish Pro-Line flame logo molded to wheel surface

· Rears also fit Losi XX, XX4, XXX, XXX4 and JConcepts BJ4
Old 15-07-2008

yeah I know about the same part # thing, I checked AE's excel file too... but the shop who confirmed that is SMS in Lyon (I'm a French native speaker, you understand) and if there's one shop who knows their electric offroad business on the tip of their fingers, it's Christophe Blandin's - so I absolutely, positively trust what the guy says. We also had an interesting conversation about the plastic quality changes since TT took AE over but that's another story

Anyways, the calipers never lie, so stay tuned for hard data

thanks all for the help - hope this helps other people as well

Paul
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

confirmed what ?

im not just checking the exl file im also ringing the rep for CML
but hye if you guys are right then ill hold my hand up and say i was wrong
Old 15-07-2008

just to let Lonestar know, I run the DB01, I have XX4-XXX4-B4-DB01-501X rear wheels and they all fit the same, although they have different ways of obtaining the same fit.

We are all off-road guys here with far to many years experience, and I can tell you, I have new and old B4 wheels, and they are the same off-set.
Old 15-07-2008

okee dokee guys, thanks again for your patience

just for the peace of mind - I measured an XXX rim and it was a bit of pain due to me needing to squeeze the tire in order to get a proper measurement but I'm pretty sure of my final measurements, give or take half a mm here and there:

- total thickness: 38mm
- offset from inside of the rim (ie inside edge to beginning of the pin "print" in the rim):22mm
- thickness of the axle mount: 12mm
- offset from outside of rim: 4mm

I'm not exactly sure about if we have the same "offset" definition, so I gave you the three measurements just to make sure we're talking the same thing. Thanks for your help again.

Not sure who the CML rep is these days, but then again keep in mind a lot of the folks who work in the RC business nowadays are less knowledgeable than you and me, so unless you tell me it's Drescher, I would still trust my guy instead, especially as it's about admitting some kind of a "mistake" in the designing/manufacturing process. I work in FMCG and I can tell you changing specs of an sku during its life without changing the ID code is one of the toughest things to manage from a business standpoint, and you always try to make it as seamless as possible. If Blandin says there's an early batch of rims which are spec'ed differently, I believe him... he's been catering solely to the electric off/on-road business since 1992 if I remember well. The name might ring a bell to some of you: Denis Blandin was his brother and he won the offroad Euros in Genay in 1988 (Booth and Drescher being respectively 2nd and 3rd), and Christophe, the shop owner, was his mechanic at the time... lots of experience here

Thanks a lot all for your time - again, not trying to be arrogant, but I read so much BS on the RC internet forums these days (how often does one still read that you stiffen shock springs by screwing on the shock collars...) that I try to bulletproof every piece of info I get.

Cheers
Paul
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've just measured a Tamiya wheel and it's measurements are within 1mm of yours, which I assume is because I didn't have a tyre on it so was able to measure accurately with a steel rule.

For everyone else I measured an Associated wheel and it's identical to the Tamiya.

Would you like me to measure the front wheel too as I've got them as well!
Old 15-07-2008

ooooh oh, I found a difference.....

The Tamiya Yellow wheels are a different shade of yellow to the Losi ones, and the AE ones
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well I knew that the AE yellow was different to the tamiya, but I really hope the Losi yellow being different won't cause him any problems!
Old 15-07-2008

I mixed the Tamiya and Losi ones up once... it upset the balance of the car.... colour balance that is....
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just pity my B4, the AE yellow wheels on the front with the yellow tamiya rears, uuuurgh

Old 15-07-2008

you sure you can cope with that then Pete.....???
Old 15-07-2008

Paul, I can clarify some points. The RC10/B2/B3 had a different offset than the Losi cars. When AE made the B4, they took the 'Losi standard'.
Now, AE rear = Losi rear = Tamiya rear.

I saw Masami (well, actually, his mechanics) try Losi and AE wheels on the back of his B4 at the Worlds warm-up in Collegno ('05).
So that means two things :
- AE and Losi wheels are close enough for Masami to use them back-to-back.
- They are slightly different (I believe Losi is softer), so it can be a tuning tool for a 14-times world champ

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 15-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayo View Post
Paul, I can clarify some points. The RC10/B2/B3 had a different offset than the Losi cars. When AE made the B4, they took the 'Losi standard'.
Now, AE rear = Losi rear = Tamiya rear.

I saw Masami (well, actually, his mechanics) try Losi and AE wheels on the back of his B4 at the Worlds warm-up in Collegno ('05).
So that means two things :
- AE and Losi wheels are close enough for Masami to use them back-to-back.
- They are slightly different (I believe Losi is softer), so it can be a tuning tool for a 14-times world champ
You can cut the strengthening struts out of the center of the wheel to make it softer too. Better through the bumps but not as precise in corners.
Old 15-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
just talking rear wheels here - I tried in the past to run XXX wheels on a B3 (or the other way around, can't exactly remember as it was years ago) and it didn't work - the wheel was hitting the arm. So my understanding is that Losi and AE rear 2WD wheels don't mix.
Hi,

B4 rims have far more inset than B3 (or older) RC10 rims, so that probrably explains the problems you had before.

You will be fine with Losi rear rims on your Durga as you can see in the photo below. They clear with loads of extra room.

I just made some measurements on some real wheels:
Losi 5-spoke wheels (like in the photo) - 20mm inset
Losi dish wheels - 23mm inset
Durga stock wheels - 22mm inset

Cheers!
Ty