Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 28-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin9 View Post
thanks very much for all the replies, really appreciate it...seems sensible and probably what I will do is look at an 8.5 or 10.5....my esc is a nosram matrix evolution, ive no idea what this is capable of regards turning it down?...i am planning on buying a etronix pulse ex3g pro next week...
you can turn down the speed to what ever you want on your transmitter its called epa if you turn it down to 70% the motor will be the same speed as a 7.5t you dont really need to do much with your esc not until you start getting good anyway
Old 28-12-2012

thanks again...so if I can turn it down why do i need a different motor? Is it not recommended to do this? does it affect the motor etc?..thanks
Old 28-12-2012

I've been reading this with interest. I have the option of my 10.5 with boost or timing which is insanely fast or I have the othe setup with a 5.5 which is as quick but harder to drive.

So Ive decided that as I have a spare 8.5 motor I'm going to try it at the Area 51 race in the morning as I ran my 5.5 there last week I can get a back to back test - might be interesting to see which works best
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Kits and parts supplied by:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/[/size]

My Feedback thread: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...945#post691945
Old 28-12-2012

Quote:
thanks again...so if I can turn it down why do i need a different motor? Is it not recommended to do this? does it affect the motor etc?..thanks
I would wait till you get your new remote and try it with some of the settings you will be amazed what you can do with them nowadays
we run 6.5t in my sons car turned down to 80% on his remote works great
Old 28-12-2012

I ran a 5.5 on nimh and it was too much motor.
a 5.5 drains battery life like mad
I like the 6.5's better because it's really all the power you need for a 4wd buggy.
Old 28-12-2012

thanks for the advice/comments tisher, sounds like it might be worth hanging on until i get my remote and just seeing if i can turn it down...main issue would be battery life?

luniemiester would be interested to hear your feedback..
Old 28-12-2012

I think that motor with the EPA turned down would still be too torquey for 2wd and would still break traction a lot. EPA would stop it reaching maximum revs, but it would still have the torque... grunt, of a 5.5t motor.
Old 28-12-2012

the C rating on your lipos make quite a big difference as well!

worth thinking about (obviously batteries degrade over time though)
Old 28-12-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Feedback: I am nearly 2 laps faster running a boosted 10.5, rather than a std 6.5 in my 4WD.
Slightly slower in the straight, but much more driveable in the infield (York indoors)

However (as mentioned earlier) the losi motors are a bit soft - probably only equate to a modern 6.5, poor 7.5 anyway. I'd still be tempted to go 10.5 anyway

Last edited by Col; 28-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 28-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm also definitely quicker running a boosted 10.5 than I was with 5.5's and 6.5s both in 2wd and 4wd. Mines boosted so hard that on the straights you can't tell it isn't a 6.5 unless its a long straight, but its a lot smoother on the infield.

Running a faster wind with the EPA reduced isn't quite the same as a less powerful wind, though you can do a lot with software settings. A less powerful motor is undoubtedly the better option if you have the chance, but if money is tight I can see why you'd want to try EPA first. In a 2wd I think you'll find the power band all wrong, though you can adjust that on the TX as well.

Put it this way - if it was all down to EPA why don't we all run 2.5T's and adjust the EPA so its driveable......

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 29-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I'm also definitely quicker running a boosted 10.5 than I was with 5.5's and 6.5s both in 2wd and 4wd. Mines boosted so hard that on the straights you can't tell it isn't a 6.5 unless its a long straight, but its a lot smoother on the infield.

Running a faster wind with the EPA reduced isn't quite the same as a less powerful wind, though you can do a lot with software settings. A less powerful motor is undoubtedly the better option if you have the chance, but if money is tight I can see why you'd want to try EPA first. In a 2wd I think you'll find the power band all wrong, though you can adjust that on the TX as well.

Put it this way - if it was all down to EPA why don't we all run 2.5T's and adjust the EPA so its driveable......

This is very true Si but the motor he has already got does not have much torque and there is not just the epa that can be reduced on the tranny you can also reduce your throttle curve which again take away the punch of the motor as batterys if your a beginner you will not use the full amount out of your cells in a race these days as they are all rated quite high. As for me I have never boosted a 10.5t motor as I would rather have more power when needed than less because when you get better you will end up putting the bigger motor back in anyway
Old 29-12-2012

I would adjust the EPA first, especially before buying a motor if you've already got a 5.5 and your just starting out again. Your Etronix has EPA, it basically just reduces your throttle, so will bring down speed and torque.

If you run into any temperature issues or can't find a setting that works you may want to look at a slower wind, but you will probably find other things to spend on before going for the ultimate power curve.
Old 29-12-2012

thanks again for all comments and opinion..

from a financial perspective I want the right stuff so if i need a new motor ill get one rather than making do, if i dont however and if its possible to turn mine and slowly increase if i get better that would seem a better option to me? I just wasnt aware how possible this was etc...i think ill try this as a starting point and go from there....have been advised my etronix (pulse ex3g Pro) may not mix well with the savox low profile servo if anyone has a view on that? buying both next week...

am going up to southport for a look tomorrow so will pester a people there aswell thanks
Old 29-12-2012

I would try trading your 5.5 for something nearer to an 8.5 in the trade section. In reality, you are never going to need a 5.5 in a 2wd. As has been mentioned, a 5.5 is not going to deliver power as smoothly as a more realistic wind motor. I'm sure there will be someone out there with a 4wd car in a similar predicament only reversed.
Old 29-12-2012

Default 5.5

Try running your 5.5 in blinky mode will be more than enough horseys
Old 29-12-2012

Quote:

am going up to southport for a look tomorrow so will pester a people there aswell thanks
I am at southport tomorrow, pester me
Old 31-12-2012

Quote:
thanks for the advice/comments tisher, sounds like it might be worth hanging on until i get my remote and just seeing if i can turn it down...main issue would be battery life?

I tried the 8.5 for practice and first qualifier. Car was smooth and easy to drive but I struggled for pace down the straight which wasn't as long as normal. Also during the sprint between corners it didn't quite have the power I was used to

So for the next run I put the 5.5 back in. Car was much faster as to be expected but harder to be consistent. I knocked a second of my best laps but I did make more mistakes as I wasn't used to the track with the 5.5 and you had to be steadier in the jumps to get it right. I did an almost identical run to the 8.5 though!

The rest of the day I improved and got faster so I would say that the 8.5 is ok if your new or looking to get consistent times through driving. Once you reach a point where you just dint seem to get faster that's the time to either put in a faster motor or to add boost/timing to te 8.5.

I do prefer the feel of my 10.5 with boost to be honest over a standard 5.5 - nice and smooth in the tight stuff but ballistic on the straights especially outdoor
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Old 31-12-2012

if your 8.5 lacked pace could of tired a bigger pinion probably wouldn't be such as drastic difference in pace compared to the 5.5.. but might of gave your the top end
Old 31-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisher View Post
you can turn down the speed to what ever you want on your transmitter its called epa if you turn it down to 70% the motor will be the same speed as a 7.5t you dont really need to do much with your esc not until you start getting good anyway
Nonsense.
Old 31-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigbunt View Post
if your 8.5 lacked pace could of tired a bigger pinion probably wouldn't be such as drastic difference in pace compared to the 5.5.. but might of gave your the top end
Tried that but then didn't have punch off corners. This is without boost as the 5.5-8.5 setup in the car I used doesn't have any timing like my other car does
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1