Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 18-12-2007
LeeOtard

sorry steve, its my very blunt nature to things liek this...i think we all understand about the cross over now....but jumps is different to that....take jumps out of a off road track and its just a flat or bumpy touring car track....so in tht instant race them......

like getting a bowler wildcat to race against toca touring cars......thats not what they are deisgn for and what makes them fun!

if you cannot judge the distance on normal jumps then you had the option to roll them.........

thats what i advise you do if you cannot judge the jumps etc.

but if you are a good racer then we also need a challenge...we started racing liek everyone else, to have fun...i do not have fun driving aorund a dead flat track......so i would invite lots more jumps....so its best of both worlds right?
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Yeah, okay Pidge, JUST NO MORE CROSSOVERS...
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think the cross-over would have been great if it was just a series of jumps rather than having the cars running back under it .... I broke at least one other persons car by coming up short and my own by going too long.

I have forgotten how to jump a 2wd in the 5 years or so since I last had too ..... rallycross cars can usually just be thrown skyward .... 4wd cars barely notice the jumps on the tracks I've run on recently ... LOL

The risk and reward thing is spot on ....... but I believe the risk should be that you loose a fair chunk of time if you choose not to jump rather than be a broken car for you or another racer.

If for example the gap had been filled with some really non flowing rough stuff section, say wooden batterns at random angles under carpet (attached to a bed board so they did't move about), that would be REALLY slow to roll compared to the jump option.

That way the brave and the skilled jumpers would get their risk and reward bonus and those others would get a second or so of a lap extra on their time.

Just trying to offer a constructive suggestion!!!!
Old 18-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
sorry steve, its my very blunt nature to things liek this...i think we all understand about the cross over now....but jumps is different to that....take jumps out of a off road track and its just a flat or bumpy touring car track....so in tht instant race them......

like getting a bowler wildcat to race against toca touring cars......thats not what they are deisgn for and what makes them fun!

if you cannot judge the distance on normal jumps then you had the option to roll them.........

thats what i advise you do if you cannot judge the jumps etc.

but if you are a good racer then we also need a challenge...we started racing liek everyone else, to have fun...i do not have fun driving aorund a dead flat track......so i would invite lots more jumps....so its best of both worlds right?
I appriciate this comment a great deal, many thanks.
I would also like to add that one of the best things about this type of meeting is to be able to watch the top drivers race and be able to ask them advice.
Ellis Stafford was very helpful when I asked him about my X5.

This is the only sport I know where the top ability competitors are so accessable.
Old 18-12-2007
LeeOtard

my perfect example is people like cree....

who next year is not doing 10th due to having become bored of the national tracks.

i think this is a massive loss to 10th! come back Cree!!!!
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Bored, because they are always at the same damn places....? or bored because they don't have jumps...

P.S. is he doing RallyX with the RC8?

M.
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Next thing people are going to ask for no left turns or no slippery floors or floors that have slightly less grip because they are grip rolling.

There is no excuse for not being able to jump. Go and practise. Any new skill on the planet takes a process of learning. Learn to drive the tracks that are there, don't ask for tracks to be designed around your ability.

It takes less than a day for most very average drivers to learn to jump a car. So in the days between Christmas and New Year make a wooden ramp in your back yard and jump it!

Bad eyesight? Duncan in the Mod 18ths has some of the worst eyesight I have ever seen and he managed OK? He even says he loved the jumps. I mean the guy can't even see his computer screen from more than a foot away and he managed to clear all the jumps no problem with a micro! His sight is so bad he is currently making different coloured LED's so he can see his car and tell front from back.
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

The only national track thats been selected which appeals to me is Eden Park to be honist.
Old 18-12-2007
LeeOtard

best thing is to ask him....

but im guessing both.......

yeh hes racing 8th. but is doing 10th euros!!!! as its fun, its dirt and has jumps! whoop!
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

RIGHT!! GLOVES OFF!!!

My problem with the cross-over jump, was that if someone jumped it short, after you have successfully cleared it, and was making it through the under part, and they took you out through absolutely no fault of your own, and ruined your race, by breaking your car...HOW WOULD YOU HAVE LIKED IT!????

I think you should go into the bottom heat with the newbies, and get taken out by them not being able to jump!

M... (runs away)
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
RIGHT!! GLOVES OFF!!!

My problem with the cross-over jump, was that if someone jumped it short, after you have successfully cleared it, and was making it through the under part, and they took you out through absolutely no fault of your own, and ruined your race, by breaking your car...HOW WOULD YOU HAVE LIKED IT!????

I think you should go into the bottom heat with the newbies, and get taken out by them not being able to jump!

M... (runs away)
How many people's car's were broken by newbies coming up short and landing on their cars on Sunday?
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We keep getting back to the Cross-over, at least it's provided a talking point....

We did mention it in the early stages of talking about this meeting, and i didn't see anyone query this....

The main thing we did was make sure that there was a good long carpet run up so the only problem would be jumping a bit too far - there was no reason for not making it as literally i guarantee you could clear it from a 1ft run up if you hit the power even from a standstill.

As stated numerous times now we will take on board all comments, criticism's and compliments about all parts of the track and will try and make it better next time for everyone that's racing.

I think a Ring of fire would be cool for the cross over

The other thing is clear to me that even with no cross-over, having jumps indoors will always lead to crashes and people over-jumping if they're not very experienced. It's all very well saying just roll the jump if you're not very good yet, but the problem there is that still takes control to go slow so you will still get crashes where people are ramping it too much or not enough etc... Indoor racing with buggy's = Jumps, Slippery sections and generally difficult tracks to master so Cross over or NO cross over a lot of this will still apply and people will still find it "tricky" but hey, its' ALL GOOD PRACTISE
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

well i will want this crossover when i come in Jan as i never managed to make this one !!!
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
RIGHT!! GLOVES OFF!!!

M... (runs away)
Haha but that could happen to you at other parts of any track indoors, if someone got a jump wrong or barrel rolled at high speed they can end up just about anywhere on an indoor track so i'm not sure it's purely down to being a cross-over, and as said how many people ACTUALLY had this happen to them? I didn't see much of it and i was marshalling that first heat of 4wd.

I still think no matter what you do, newbies/beginners will no doubt crash and find it hard indoors when you've got to have the slippery sections, jumps and tight corners - It's what indoor racing off road has always been like.

I don't think the results would have been much different if the track was reallllllly easy, so what's the problem (really)??
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I would say just have a longer run off so people can overpower it and still land ok. The people i saw either not make it or overshoot tended to be too thumb heavy on most of the track, so it wasnt just that part of the track.
Old 18-12-2007
LeeOtard

i think cross overs are cool.....

but we wont run one next time........

we dnt wanna go through this again..i kno i spoke to some under talanted drivers and they loved it.....

i saw more people over jump than under....and didnt see anyone break there car with someone missing the clearance.....

ill watch ur race next time though mark. lol.....
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Seriously, how many people's cars were broken specifically by someone landing on top of them by not getting across the cross over?
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
Seriously, how many people's cars were broken specifically by someone landing on top of them by not getting across the cross over?
Just my hand....
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraggy View Post
well i will want this crossover when i come in Jan as i never managed to make this one !!!
Ditto, Jordan's an F4 and would handle the crossover, he has grown accustomed to jumps, we missed this one but aim to make the next one, Mick
Old 18-12-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
Just my hand....
Whuss

Can always get a new hand for about £5.50 but a new shock tower, that's irreplaceable