Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 18-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Actually I'm serious considering the option of buying up all these 'worthless pieces of plastic' dead cheap and sticking with RC3. We'll have a truck load of (MRT) handouts so it won't matter that when you turn up your Purcy will be useless.
Which is much nicer than the places 'upgrading' to RC4 that seem to run a policy of 'if your MRT doesn't work - tough. Should have bought a Mylaps'....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Actually I'm serious considering the option of buying up all these 'worthless pieces of plastic' dead cheap and sticking with RC3. We'll have a truck load of (MRT) handouts so it won't matter that when you turn up your Purcy will be useless.
Which is much nicer than the places 'upgrading' to RC4 that seem to run a policy of 'if your MRT doesn't work - tough. Should have bought a Mylaps'....
Just a question chap !

I do understand why you are reluctant to upgrade and stick to the RC3 system.

But if a racer turns up to your track with only Mylaps Purcy Transponders will you offer your MRT Handouts FOC for the night or will you charge either a Refundable Deposit or a Rental Charge for the nights usage.

Maybe Col could be updated with this info for his page as well.
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
But if a racer turns up to your track with only Mylaps Purcy Transponders will you offer your MRT Handouts FOC for the night or will you charge either a Refundable Deposit or a Rental Charge for the nights usage.
Just curious, have you not raced at a club that has handouts?

For the majority of club racers the first time they find out they need a transponder is when they first turn up at their local club. If clubs insist they must have their own transponder before they race and the club doesn't have handouts to loan to them you aren't encouraging them to go buy one and come back.

Some clubs hand them out free, others require some sort of 'deposit', your car keys is a good way of making sure you remember to hand the transponder back before you leave.

At my club as we use a custom made infra red system we hand them out for free at the start of the night, and drivers who turn up every week usually get to hang on to them, handing them back when they stop racing. We don't have a problem with drivers wandering off with them as they can't be used anywhere else, and they only cost us a fraction of the price of AMB or MRTs.
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Wanna buy my transponder bro?
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Just curious, have you not raced at a club that has handouts?
I've been racing since 1982 so I've seen pen n paper, computer, handouts and now pt's. I've helped setup and run local clubs, purchased AMB equipment, decoder and transponders myself for the club

I was just curious what Si plans were as he was buying the MRT's for a handout purpose !

I was only asking as there is an outlay for buying loads of these MRT's if the club loaned them or asked for payment, no malice meant, just a question
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 18-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Don't charge for AMB handouts so why would I for MRT ones? If enough places are RC4 they aren't worth nicking as they'll only work with us.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 18-02-2013

problem i can see if a club as not got money to upgrade
if people turn up with uncompatible transponders what are they suposed to do another money making idea

not neebie raced 25 years
Old 18-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Plenty good enough for the many clubs and 1000's of club drivers who just race at thier club and no where else..send me you worthless plastic and ill pass it on free to a local club racer, ill even cover postage both ways
That's totally devoid of any logic - being as whomever it gets passed onto will show up at the track at any some time in the future, whether it be this weekend or next year (or whenever), and find themselves in the same predicament when their club upgrades to RC4.
It's like handing out arsenic for free!
Old 18-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harrison View Post
Wanna buy my transponder bro?
Since it's now basically a paperweight, a very light one at that, he'll probably offer you £1 for it..... since that's all it's worth.
Old 18-02-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
That's totally devoid of any logic - being as whomever it gets passed onto will show up at the track at any some time in the future, whether it be this weekend or next year (or whenever), and find themselves in the same predicament when their club upgrades to RC4.
It's like handing out arsenic for free!
my local club has no plans of upgrading, because the current members have a system and pt's that work perfectly. anyone who is daft enough to buy a purcy will be offered the use of a free hand out. as i said lots of clubs run rc3 and below and old handouts etc, and all are happy, take a look at cols list on here.

Last edited by Col; 18-02-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

both robby and mark make valid points

on one side robby is right eventually (unless a rival system becomes available or MRT find a solution )then MRT owners who race where RC4 is adopted will have no option but to purchase a Mylaps product

one the other Marks point is also valid many smaller clubs wont need or want to change to RC4 until absolutely neccessary

I happen to own all AMB products but i dont wish to see MRT products excluded either

progress will not stop whether the customer requires it or wants it its a shame sometimes but thats life, else having twenty years of RC experience id still be running 1700 scrc cells and a cat XLS

regards dave
Old 18-02-2013

As a note, as vice chair of my club and resident race director, we firstly can't afford to upgrade, and currently, with a majority of members using MRT PT's, I can't expect the members to pick up the cost of upgrading by one, having to buy new AMB transponders, secondly, higher race fee's to cover cost and thirdly, me having to manual correct race times for missed laps due to people using perfectly serviceable PT's that are no longer 'compatible'.

So, if BBK or anyone would like to 'donate' MRT transponders to my club so that we can help newcomers get into the hobby, or cover someone who may come with a Purcy, please PM me.
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
As a note, as vice chair of my club and resident race director, we firstly can't afford to upgrade, and currently, with a majority of members using MRT PT's, I can't expect the members to pick up the cost of upgrading by one, having to buy new AMB transponders, secondly, higher race fee's to cover cost and thirdly, me having to manual correct race times for missed laps due to people using perfectly serviceable PT's that are no longer 'compatible'.

So, if BBK or anyone would like to 'donate' MRT transponders to my club so that we can help newcomers get into the hobby, or cover someone who may come with a Purcy, please PM me.

Good idea Steve
Old 18-02-2013
Banned

Quote:

Interesting idea DCM, and I will take your idea under advisement and discuss it with some other friends of mine. I do have half a dozen that need to find a home.
Yet at the same time it makes me think this is letting MRT off the hook.

Personally, I'd rather MRT have directly addressed this in this thread - as many other manufacturers have in other discussions - so others can see what they're actually doing about it instead of relying on rumor of something that may never happen.
Old 18-02-2013

All i know is, bbk will only crush them, so this will give them a new life and help new drivers till they can afford to invest in a pt.
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
All i know is, bbk will only crush them, so this will give them a new life and help new drivers till they can afford to invest in a pt.
I'm told they go back to my laps along with the amb ones and the numbers are re used or blocked. Hence some amb users have found their pt not to work.
Old 18-02-2013

Well, i can understand if you've got a recent rc3 decoder, but ours is pre mrt so no blocked numbers here

Last edited by Col; 19-02-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Interesting idea DCM, and I will take your idea under advisement and discuss it with some other friends of mine. I do have half a dozen that need to find a home.
Yet at the same time it makes me think this is letting MRT off the hook.

Personally, I'd rather MRT have directly addressed this in this thread - as many other manufacturers have in other discussions - so others can see what they're actually doing about it instead of relying on rumor of something that may never happen.
With all respect if MRT made a comment on here you would only moan and tell em you have some worthless plastic, have you actually tried to phone them and ask in person?
Old 19-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
With all respect if MRT made a comment on here you would only moan and tell em you have some worthless plastic, have you actually tried to phone them and ask in person?

It's not my job to call them, it's their job to support their customers.
So far, MRT's "official" response has amounted to nothing but crickets...............
Very unprofessional.
Old 19-02-2013

I have to say that last comment is a little out of place. It is not MRT's job to comment on a system that MyLaps/AMB have produced after the fact of them suplpying PT's to work on the current systems. thats like saying to Microsoft "Why cant i play Xbox360 games on my old Xbox"....simple, you cant. Is that MS's fault, no, it's a natural progression. MRT are not accountable for this change, and their responsibility lies with their customer on the suported system for their PT's they sold you, thats RC2 and RC3.

This thread is just getting stupid now. Everyone is just thinking of themself. It is the hobby that will suffer if this is not worked out between racers/clubs/brca to bring in the new stuff gradually. This isn't a firesale, but I can understand why so many are up in arms over it all...im not to pleased because id rather go buy an MRT on trade in and have two bugs for less than an AMB/MyLaps. It would seem from how a few clubs reps have mentioned they have no plans to change in the near future. However there is the thought that clubs would be able to buy an RC4 system cheap right now. As such there needs to be constructive discussion on this.

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox