Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-08-2015

If there was a national spec class at regional and national level I would love to do it
Old 07-08-2015

At southport we run a 10.5 class everyone who races it enjoys the close racing, at the moment we allow any 10.5 motor and generally find the speed quite close. getting the correct gearing for your motor is important and it does differ between different makes. Also along with the motor everyone has to use the same type of tyre, in our case schueey yellow blocks, the main idea is that both power and available grip are equal. Iis a fun class(but then they should all be) , oh and we also run modified races on the same day and usually find that the top stock runners can match the race times of the modifieds. (you do learn your lines better at a more sedate pace, deffo better for newer racers).
Old 12-08-2015
Legendary dude

York club run at club meetings 2 spec classes they do a 17.5t class mainly 4wd cars run in this and they also run a brushed 540 sealed can (hpi Saturn 20t) 2wd class. The sealed can class is really good for learning to drive. A lot of the York lads who are now very quick cut there teeth in this class as kids.

I wish we had more spec racing I for one would sell my mod motors and just race spec.

The yanks have the right idea 13.5 turn sportsman class and it's the biggest entry.

Southport club like the idea of your spec class and also a tyre run sounds good

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 12-08-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Lots of clubs run spec classes with homegrown rules successfully, but thats not at all the same as doing it on a larger scale.
Club level spec classes exist just to save money and reduce speeds. Likewise whilst they may be popular they are always seen as a 'lower' class and strictly at the one club. Consequently there is little to no point spending big money to win. You could get a slight edge at York buying 50 Saturns, testing them all and only running the best ones, at Southport making sure you have the latest and best 10.5 and for both some super spec batteries would help but why bother? If you aren't interested in keeping it cheap you might as well race Mod.
However the moment it gets bigger than club level that all stops. Spending big money becomes worth it at larger meetings.

Spec classes only work when there is a commitment from all parties to keep it fair. As soon as people start looking for an edge its essentially failed. The bigger the meeting, the sooner that point is reached.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 12-08-2015
Mad Member

Spec classes only work when there is a commitment from all parties to keep it fair. As soon as people start looking for an edge its essentially failed. The bigger the meeting, the sooner that point is reached.[/QUOTE]

think Si's reply about nails this one
Old 13-08-2015

I would like to see a 13.5 blinky buggy class for the novice drivers. Maybe do it if they hit X lap time, win x amount of races or run X amount of laps they are bumped up to regular 2wd...to keep the expert level drivers from clogging up a class that was made for novices. We had this problem back in the US. Full chassis/electronics sponsored drivers running 17.5 blinky buggy.
Old 13-08-2015

I'd run a spec class, I think, maybe
Old 13-08-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

To me this has the same answer as many other topics about RC classes, we simply don't have enough people racing RC in the uk, in most cases we see the same people trying to run more than one class and very shortly finding they have not the time or the funds to carry on, so concentrate on one class.Now if we start dividing the racers we have in the UK amongst many classes, we end up with loads of under supported classes :thumb down:. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of loads of choice But unlike the US we just don't have enough racers

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 13-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
To me this has the same answer as many other topics about RC classes, we simply don't have enough people racing RC in the uk, in most cases we see the same people trying to run more than one class and very shortly finding they have not the time or the funds to carry on, so concentrate on one class.Now if we start dividing the racers we have in the UK amongst many classes, we end up with loads of under supported classes :thumb down:. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of loads of choice But unlike the US we just don't have enough racers
I don't know about that. I lived in the Seattle area, there is a HUGE RC scene there, but on our average club race we had about 40 or so racers...the same amount of racers we get at my local club here. Plus if there was a spec/blinky/novice style class it might draw new racers in since they don't automatically have to run with guys running 7.5's.

The 17.5 blinky class was by far and away a larger class, usually with about 3x the entries of the regular mod class. On a normal club night there would be 1 or 2 heats of mod and 4+ heats of 17.5 blinky.

On the downside cheating is rampant in those classes, the cost spirals out of control since to be competitive you need to be at 1499 grams since you have a lack of power, along with having sponsored racers racing a class who, in spirit, should be reserved for newer/slower racers.
Old 13-08-2015

Default spec classes

the idea behind a spec class is to encourage people into the sport so they dont have to go and blow a ton of money to race. before anyone one starts on about it not being cheap it is if it is run as a spec class
experienced racers make it expensive no one else
Old 13-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoreman View Post
the idea behind a spec class is to encourage people into the sport so they dont have to go and blow a ton of money to race. before anyone one starts on about it not being cheap it is if it is run as a spec class
experienced racers make it expensive no one else
yeah I agree with you...should put out a set list of budget electronics to choose from and set a realistic minimum weight maybe?