Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 11-09-2012

Can we get some official confirmation on this thread re: cover for pit crew?

i.e.

a) covered in pitlane? any exclusions?
b) cover when out on track retrieving a car - ie: 100% at your own risk? covered if you are out somewhere in the track area, wearing high viz but are off the actual track and near a marshall point when you are hit?
c) at the start of a race when you are instructed by race control to take cars to the grid - are you covered if there is a coming together as the cars leave the grid and a car leaves the track and hits you? are the numbered start points deemed safe?

Bearing in mind how much everything else costs in this hobby....I would be more than happy to pay around £30-40 for my BRCA membership if it provided a better level of insurance.
Old 11-09-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
It makes no difference if i been racing 30 years or 30 minutes
Like I said in my earlier post, not all read the book cover to cover, I was told by a Club Official that I was joining, that we need BRCA for insurance purposes and it covers you for accidents at race meetings within the track domain. And to be honest I don't think the books been around for 30 years, neither has BRCA subs.

Also check the wording of your policy with work or a Personal Accident Insurance, putting yourself in harms warm ( ie causing part of the accident ) invalidates the insurance.
my works is not a policy, i get paid full sick pay, no questions!
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaf View Post
Can we get some official confirmation on this thread
Not very likely, for an official line, the only way to do it is to contact the BRCA directly, probably starting with the section chairman. All the contact details can be found in the handbook or on the BRCA website.
Old 11-09-2012

without trying to cause offence but what ever happened to accepting a accident and getting on, fair enough if your work doesnt cover sick pay and you break your ankle but at the end of the day it comes back to your decision to retrieve the car, crt's case and similar an exeption in that it prevented them from their work, from my point of view people are wanting compensation for everything, what i am refering to is the people out there who will make a claim just because a car ran over their toes, but this was no way ment as a dig at anyone here
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 11-09-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I can't believe it.

Surely it's not possible?

For the third time this month I find myself in total agreement with Mr Christopher...
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffett-mechanic View Post
What the heck is £30 ? Your paying more than that for a set of tyres now!
im not?

also remember that £30 was accross the board, from top national drivers down to the dad and his two lads that race at thier local club on a friday night inside on a gym floor!! you expect him to pay £90 to cover your ass?
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerill View Post
Not very likely, for an official line, the only way to do it is to contact the BRCA directly, probably starting with the section chairman. All the contact details can be found in the handbook or on the BRCA website.
Actually Jim spencer has been on here and he is the guy who is in the know on this topic, he has done it for a fair few years! he also posted the official line page 1 post 7

i have pointed him to the post.
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
I can't believe it.

For the third time this month I find myself in total agreement with Mr Christopher...
steady you best sit down and have a warm drink
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaf View Post
Can we get some official confirmation on this thread re: cover for pit crew?

i.e.

a) covered in pitlane? any exclusions?
b) cover when out on track retrieving a car - ie: 100% at your own risk? covered if you are out somewhere in the track area, wearing high viz but are off the actual track and near a marshall point when you are hit?
c) at the start of a race when you are instructed by race control to take cars to the grid - are you covered if there is a coming together as the cars leave the grid and a car leaves the track and hits you? are the numbered start points deemed safe?

Bearing in mind how much everything else costs in this hobby....I would be more than happy to pay around £30-40 for my BRCA membership if it provided a better level of insurance.
unofficially i would say
a) no
b) no
c) no

as you put your there 100% at your own risk.
Old 11-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
I can't believe it.

I'm with you on that one too!

Nothing has changed in the hobby and i've had the same conversations over the years with many experienced drivers that were not aware of the facts being brought to light in his thread.

There is no instruction book for common sense and why should those that use it be penalised by having to take expensive insurance out for incompetence behind a radio controlled vehicle?

If you are marshalling properly and watching each car as it heads towards and past your marshal point then you should have time to react to it.

The hobby is only dangerous to fools!
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffett-mechanic View Post
What the heck is £30 ? Your paying more than that for a set of tyres now!
Not a lot to some maybe, but it's alot to a new starter, say a father and a couple of kids. All clubs (not just RC) are suffering with new intake at the moment. Huge club joining fee's will put new members off.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtpromachine View Post
Surely this child was well under age to be out marshalling anyways as the legal limit is 12 for marshalling in line with the BRCA Rules .This is down to the parent/guardian to either marshall for the child or they are taking it on there heads if anything happend no claim would be made as should not of been out marshalling;

Normally this is said at drivers briefing or in the rules of whatever meeting or series you are attending
hmm, club level meetings. Some parents do leave their kids to marshal on their own. Some, most are good though and assist, or take a point close to their child.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I can't believe it.

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 11-09-2012

Hi All

I've read the posts above and think all the questions asked have been correctly answered, but there's some points.

Firstly nobody has to read the 'whole book' you HAVE to read the General Rules which are Two pages - read them, anything you don't understand drop me an email and i'll elaborate on it.

Next bit
There is nobody on the Exec who would say they are an Insurance expert, thats why we only use an Insurance provider who is both an expert in public liability and motorsport - they know exactly what they are doing. They have had direct input into the wording of some of the rules.
This system has unfortunatly been tested a good few times, a couple of times with quite serious accidents, it works, and hence the sport is still here..

Remember the aim of this cover.
It's to protect You as a driver and You as an organiser - without those two things in place our sport would not exist at all.

The folks wanting cover while Marshalling, that isn't Public Liability - you cannot have that cover via that product.
To get it would require Personal Accident Insurance - which is available for all sorts of activities, right up to ones that are very dangerous indeed, whoever advised somebody otherwise above is quite wrong - you can easily get it for full sized motoracing for example.

I have explained earlier why this is tricky to do on a 'one size fits all' basis, and the best advice was to advise our members to: -
"obtain this from a high street broker for themselves if they want it"

Now I haven't currently got any intention of bringing the 'one size fits all' offering back to the AGM there's little point.

But having a bit of a think..

Would you like me to get a provider of Personal Accident Cover to advertise in the handbook so you know who to go to?

If I get a few PM's I can do that easily enough.

Lastly to repeat myself..

NOTHING has changed - the cover you have now is basically what you had 25 years ago, just with a few improvements added over the years.
Old 11-09-2012

cheers jim

it could be a good idea to find a broker and stick it in the book (providing its read )
also a broker who insures for theft of gear?

bit like the hotel offer and national car hire is in there!
Old 11-09-2012

For the record...

I have 5 children of which three race and one pits for me, from time to time.
So I pay for five memberships a year !
And yea I would pay the extra membership £30 each for all of us, I think being done through the brca it would be value for money, and if someone else made a claim I would not think of it as I'm paying for someone else's ass !

I've read the handbook, but not everyone has?
Being hit on Saturday has just made me think, that's all !

I'm not making a claim against anyone nor will I !!!
Even when officials at the meeting knew what happened, but never came to me to even ask if I was okay?
Nor did the driver who had been warned of a Marshall being on the straight.

God forbid that something worst ever happens to anyone ?
If any of you had to be off work for six months for an injury where you put yourself in harms way, would you be able to financially cope? even if you had employers sick pay?

Anyway that's me done and like CRT I'm letting this lie

And yes, Jim if you would / could put a recommend insurer in the handbook, I think that really is a fantastic idea.
Old 11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
But having a bit of a think..

Would you like me to get a provider of Personal Accident Cover to advertise in the handbook so you know who to go to?
That would be ideal.... oh, and family membership, my tribe cost me a small fortune
Old 11-09-2012

Hi

Ok I have been following this thread with interest. May I respectfully suggest
that with the obvious concern for our safety and the risk of unexpected or accidental events, we all make an effort to minimise the risks by ensuring we wear appropriate footwear i.e boots (Not trainers) which will support the ankle and offer increased protection against an impact. Plus a pair of gloves which may offer some protection against an over eager throttle trigger. No Loose clothing and most definitely no lurid shell suits. Oh yeah and no Onesies
Old 12-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br00kie View Post
Hi

Ok I have been following this thread with interest. May I respectfully suggest
that with the obvious concern for our safety and the risk of unexpected or accidental events, we all make an effort to minimise the risks by ensuring we wear appropriate footwear i.e boots (Not trainers) which will support the ankle and offer increased protection against an impact. Plus a pair of gloves which may offer some protection against an over eager throttle trigger. No Loose clothing and most definitely no lurid shell suits. Oh yeah and no Onesies
like these?

or maybe:

and these:

sorry...
Old 12-09-2012

Thanks for the photo of the boots now I can wear mine outside the house for a change.