Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 30-10-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
I've never seen a clash. Ever.
Must be alot of people buying and selling alot of gear down south?
Quite probably.

I also know there is prob an element of "PT management" with these people.
Old 30-10-2012
oOple Advertiser

Like I said previously, it's when the extra numbers you get with the mrt are used is when clashes will occur. I borrowed one from a friend to do a regional while mine was in the post, when it arrived the alternative numbers on both were the same! So feasibly it looks like bloody loads of people will have the same number IF they change from the main one supplied.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 30-10-2012

I think the difference between the Percy and the MRT with same number cloned is, you could technically run 2 percy's with the same number in the same race and they will count independantly, the MRT wont do that.

My annoyance is, we were sold the Harry's with the suggestion that they would have the extra digit ability so we could have multiple Harry's with the same number but recognised differently... Is that still the case.

So, if no club upgrades the firmware in their box to count the new percy, or clubs don't upgrade to the latest box, and noone buys percy's, where does that leave us... Ah just where we are with systems that work and race meetings that count. Seems crazy the Percy doesn't have a fall back and still count on an older system. Didnt first digital personals work with older systems just using the last digit as their race number, at least they still counted.

RC Timing does have transponder clash checking in their latest version too.
Old 30-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
Personally I had an AMB, got it cloned to a MRT. So I still retained the number, then got a clash?? Binned both for 2 x Harry's and job done.
This is the scenario I most worry about, the assumption was that if you owned an AMB, got it cloned, you were the only one with that number on 2 PT's, so you aren't going to be vigilent in checking race listings for clashes, so a clash here is a surprise.
Old 30-10-2012

[QUOTE=knighthawk;708842]IBut it's the main BRCA events this will affect as they will update their systems first, the clubs will stay with theolder systems as if it ain't broke why change ![QUOTE]

Why?
I don't know of any section that's discussed this yet let alone had a vote on it - the section committe's will only react when the majority of their drivers want them to, a new decoder is a major investment for a section and not all of them have their own kit in any case.
Old 30-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john333 View Post
Like I said previously, it's when the extra numbers you get with the mrt are used is when clashes will occur. I borrowed one from a friend to do a regional while mine was in the post, when it arrived the alternative numbers on both were the same! So feasibly it looks like bloody loads of people will have the same number IF they change from the main one supplied.
We had that recently at our club, two MRTs running exactly the same number. BBK put the second person with the same number onto a handout transponder. Unfortunatley the second person didn't realise as you wouldn't really check on the heat sheet because you have booked in with a personal transponder number and so none of his laps were counted for his first race. Ok so this was a club race and he pressed the button on his MRT and we used the alternative number for the rest of the night. Obviously this could cause a problem during the race, as no errant pt number was flagged it couldn't assigned to a driver and essentially you have two Transponders on the track which both have the same number and if they were circulating apart from each other outside the minimum lap time someone could get some really quick laps . The other thing is that BBK could throw someones number out and out them onto a handout transponder when sorting out finals meaning you could start the A final and not count any laps through no fault of your own, and considering that most competitions stance are that if your PT doesn't count it's your responsibility and not the race organisers.

The thing that worrys me is when I went to another club to race, first time I had been there so I gave the details of My original AMB PT which I have had since they first came out and the computer flagged up that someone was already in the database with that number? Now why would that happen? I have never sent my PT off for cloning, never sent off for repair, and never lent my PT to anybody so how could this other person have the same exact number as my PT? Sounds like someone is churning out transponders with numbers that they have made up or have copied from some list somewhere.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 30-10-2012
Mad Member

[QUOTE=knighthawk;708842]But it's the main BRCA events this will affect as they will update their systems first, the clubs will stay with the older systems as if it ain't broke why change ![QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
Why?
I don't know of any section that's discussed this yet let alone had a vote on it - the section committe's will only react when the majority of their drivers want them to, a new decoder is a major investment for a section and not all of them have their own kit in any case.
What i mean is that if any change is to happen its more lightly that it will be at a National type event run by the BRCA ( this is not a dig ) !
Your normal club will stay with the older system due to the cost !
Old 30-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There will really be no problem apart from possibly MRT's. as the new system looks from reading this thred as if it will support all exsisting AMB PT's, so all good there then The only problem will possibly come if you wish or have to buy a new transponder as the percy will not work with anything but the new system.So the demand for second hand harrys may well rise as a new percy will not work at club level racing for a few years, as many small clubs will be in no rush to have a spend and upgrade, and how long will harrys be available new? I can't see a huge rush on part exchanging harrys for percys

If a club buys a new complete system along with say ten percy transponders to sell to club members at a subsidised price,then yes there could be a problem if all the other clubs are using the old system.

Here in darkest norfolk I think due to the size of our clubs we will be on harrys for many years yet as the clubs supply the lap timing for our regionals unless we rob a bank and buy the east of england it's own system.other clubs with much higher numbers may well be supporting percys within the next few months.

So really the big question for many club racers will be how long will harrys be avalable new before the percy is the only choice?

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 30-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
So really the big question for many club racers will be how long will harrys be avalable new before the percy is the only choice?

spot on fella

dave fid

Last edited by Col; 30-10-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fixed it for you, dave!
Old 30-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
After talking to Rob of BBK my understanding of the situation is this;

1) If you have an MRT transponder then you may have an issue with the new system.
However people have reported on here that MRT have the situation under control so fine there.

2) If you have an AMB transponder then you will be fine as the new system will work with all the personal transponders made by AMB.

However the new Percy transponder will not work with the older timing systems so advice would be to wait till clubs etc. move on to this before getting one.

When the new system is available to all the benefit will be that the transponder will have 2 extra numbers allowing them to be used in 2 cars i.e. 2wd/4wd, dry weather chassis set-up/ wet weather chassis set-up etc.

If you already have the Harry then it will work better with the new system so all fine there also.
89 posts and only one with any facts in that have been checked with the source.

Had an AMB since they first came out, never had a problem with it. Had an MRT with the same number as the AMB since they first came out - no problems. Just putting some more facts out there...
Old 30-10-2012

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

here is another fact pete

dont update the amd/loop bit, all works as is now
Old 31-10-2012
Mad Member

So all is well ......... Until Harry's are no longer available !

thats fine if the harry's are going to be produced for lets say 5 years if AMB decide to cease production at the end of 2013 problems may occur,existing owners will be fine , new owners will only be able to purchase percys which if i am correct wont work with RC3 most clubs and regions wont have have bothered to upgrade yet because of the numbers of existing owners it could cause problems for

will that put the value of s/h bugs up amb/mrt ? will will see more clones /clashes ?

this is pure conjecture, no hard facts , no asassination threats on anyone
just an opinion in the nicest possible way

just re read racing dwarfs post i appear to have covered most of it again doh !!

regards to fellow ooplers

Last edited by fidspeed; 31-10-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling goof
Old 31-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I considered that, then realised that it makes no sense from Mylaps point of view. If they stopped making Harry's but most clubs were still on RC3 all that would happen is people would switch to MRT's. Remember its cheaper to buy an MRT than a Harry as it is.

It makes no business sense to switch until a good number of clubs run RC4. Thats why they are offering a few upgrade to RC4. Lets be honest, if it wasn't for the MRT issue why wouldn't a club upgrade? Its free, futureproof and supposed to be better.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 31-10-2012

If the older transponders get missed laps with ne w decoder isnt this a software problem
Old 02-11-2012

posted on FB by Rob Nelson
https://www.facebook.com/groups/455453997830893/

if you not on FB
Quote:
A new RC Transponder from Mylaps
Also demonstrated the day before the BRCA 2012 AGM was the Mylaps Pure RC4 transponder, nickname Purcy. This transponder builds on the functionality of the Harry transponder in two ways. Firstly it replaces the RC2 data packets with RC4 data packets, further improving reliability and accuracy. It also incorporates a CarID signal. This allows a driver to have a number of transponders with the same 7 digit number but an additional number 0-7. Timing software will be able to treat the transponders as being associated with the same car but crucially will be able to confirm that only a single transponder was used in a session to be absolutely certain that no false times could have been recorded by using an additional transponder outside the car.

It is important to be aware that the Purcy transponder can ONLY be detected by the RC4 Firmware and so it will not replace the Harry. If you have a Purcy it will NOT be detected by the RC Decoder and RC3 Decoder Firmware. Exact price and availability of the Purcy is to be confirmed but price is anticipated to be approximately 10% cheaper than Harry. 29th October 2012
and

Quote:
RC4 Decoder
The RC4 Decoder uses the same physical decoder as the latest RC3 Decoders with updated firmware. The Firmware update, expected to be available by the end of November, is a free download. To get the download you will have to register the Mac address and you will receive a program to run on your PC with the Decoder connected. This program updates the decoder. Full details of this process will be available soon.

If you have an older RC3 Decoder (purchased in 2006 or early 2007) or the previous RC Decoder you will have to upgrade the decoder. This will cost £415 including VAT and shipping in the UK. The updated Decoders are expected to be available in early December. If you upgrade your Decoder you will be able to purchase up to 5 Pure RC4 Transponders (Purcy) at about half the normal retail price (TBA).

If you have an RC3 Decoder purchased in 2006-2007 please email the Mac address to us and we'll advise if you need to update the Decoder. The Mac address is printed on the bottom or the decoder and starts EA: 00-04-B7-xx-xx-xx. If you can't read it you can display the Mac address of a powered RC3 Decoder on the LCD screen by pressing the left hand button twice. 1st November 2012
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 02-11-2012

Seems crazy to have not built backwards compatibility.

Why not cancel the Harry, bring out the Purcy that works on both systems, with limited functionality on the old systems and full functionality on the new system.

A new driver to the sport knows they are buying something that works everywhere whichever level of system they are at.

As i read the first sales paperwork from the BBK website when the Harry came out, it appeared the Harry would have this extra digit for personal id with the same number but it seems this was a whole new product rather than an addition to the current. Feeling a little mislead about that.

Didn't need to upgrade my old PT's they worked, thought i was getting a new future proof product that would last as long as the previous one, with the ability to have "clones" down the road...
Old 02-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I do hope mrt get this sorted, as i conducted a poll via our website and out of the 44 votes, 17 are mrt's....

i use an old amb pt with the lugs attached.. would this still work ?

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 02-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yes as far as I understand it the new system will support all existing AMB PT's

If they do carry on selling harrys then their is no probs, seems strange tho as tbh there seem little advantage in puying a percy? if a harry works with every system and the percy works with only the latest also the latest tech is cheeper than the old by 10%?

If the harry is going to be available for years to come...no probs all good apart from MRT users there is no real change.....

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 02-11-2012

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
posted on FB by Rob Nelson
https://www.facebook.com/groups/455453997830893/

if you not on FB

and

the only thing is all this info is coming from "mylaps" via the uk distributor, for all we know the mrt could work and its a sales tactic to panic mrt owners!

if clubs dont upgrade everything works as it is now!
Old 02-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
the only thing is all this info is coming from "mylaps" via the uk distributor, for all we know the mrt could work and its a sales tactic to panic mrt owners!

if clubs dont upgrade everything works as it is now!
Until people turn up with Percy's and find they don't work!

I must admit I'm kinda figuring the same thing here. Mylaps aren't going to advertise MRT compatibility and if some scaremongering sells a few more Harrys/Percys its all good for business......

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)