Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 22-02-2011

yup they work, cost a fair bit though, i think a HARM mag diff new from HARM is £200+ odd then ian oddie mods them at extra cost (adds the internal wires and does some other stuff to them)

then again a stock alloy diff is £180 odd new for most cars lol.

not sure if they would work as well being scaled down for 1/10th as your diffs are about 5 times smaller than the 1/5th units we use (my stock diff was not much under the weight of my x10 without wheels and radio and running gear lol) not sure if the magnetic feild it generates would have the same effect (might do as the cars are smaller/lighter and the diffs do rotate alot faster than our 1/5th things)

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 22-02-2011

i wonder if mr oddie has made one for that psychotic reliant kitten yet (if he still has it!) he's worse than me, he will modify anything!!
Old 23-02-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaran View Post
yup they work, cost a fair bit though, i think a HARM mag diff new from HARM is £200+ odd then ian oddie mods them at extra cost (adds the internal wires and does some other stuff to them)

then again a stock alloy diff is £180 odd new for most cars lol.

not sure if they would work as well being scaled down for 1/10th as your diffs are about 5 times smaller than the 1/5th units we use (my stock diff was not much under the weight of my x10 without wheels and radio and running gear lol) not sure if the magnetic feild it generates would have the same effect (might do as the cars are smaller/lighter and the diffs do rotate alot faster than our 1/5th things)
I volunteer to test a prototype from Mr. Oddie!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 23-02-2011

send him an email then:

http://www.oddified.com/index.php

im sure he has all the gear to make them as he makes his own parts for 1/5th cars etc (also the lovely 1/5th ecu's)

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 23-02-2011
Mad Member

Sent!

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 05-03-2011

Default gear diff v's ball diff in durango

following this very interesting thread, after some posts of gear diff inconsistency/difficultness in handling/performance, I decided to install a ball diff into my durango to see for myself if a ball diff will make this car handle better.

testing to follow in the next couple of weeks.

will keep you posted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10872.jpg (44.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Is that a Kyosho ring gear? They are bullet proof when properly meshed with the Kyosho pinion gear but I am not sure (because I don't know anybody who has tried it) how well it will last with such a small meshed area with the Durango pinion. Might be worth trying to get the mating Kyosho part in there if at all possible.
Old 05-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's right at the outside though so it'll stand the best chance it could of surviving! It might be an idea to fill in the inner half of the teeth on the diff gear with epoxy to give the outer part of the the teeth that's being used a bit more support.

I bet the car has loads more grip with ball diffs
Old 05-03-2011
Mad Member

ASAIK the D diff is a direct fit in the K, so should be the same vice versa

Visit my showroom
Old 05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Is that a Kyosho ring gear? They are bullet proof when properly meshed with the Kyosho pinion gear but I am not sure (because I don't know anybody who has tried it) how well it will last with such a small meshed area with the Durango pinion. Might be worth trying to get the mating Kyosho part in there if at all possible.
correct, its a ball diff straight off a zx5sp. All it needed was a 1mm thinner bearing. Mating with the original durango drive gear was the easiest option, if it fails I'll try mating with kyosho to kyosho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
It's right at the outside though so it'll stand the best chance it could of surviving! It might be an idea to fill in the inner half of the teeth on the diff gear with epoxy to give the outer part of the the teeth that's being used a bit more support.

I bet the car has loads more grip with ball diffs
good idea!

I'm betting that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
ASAIK the D diff is a direct fit in the K, so should be the same vice versa
on the FS at least.

I'm not going to bother getting an FS and putting a gear diff in, as I feel ball diffs in offroad will be superior, IMO.
Old 08-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
I'm not going to bother getting an FS and putting a gear diff in, as I feel ball diffs in offroad will be superior, IMO.
I understand that fully Just thought it might be a good idea to use also the plastic planetary gear (small one) from the Kyosho, as that one is also plastic. Looks like you've kept the Durango steel gear as for now.

Visit my showroom
Old 08-03-2011

Quote:
I understand that fully Just thought it might be a good idea to use also the plastic planetary gear (small one) from the Kyosho, as that one is also plastic. Looks like you've kept the Durango steel gear as for now.
Remember the ball diff I was telling you about, that was still good as new after a few thousand laps on carpet?

I've been running a month or so now, I would guess about 5000 laps or so, still good as new...... :P

The new 22 uses two more diff balls, which means 14% more surface area, that should mean a lot more solid, and a lot less wear and maintenance!

Spektrum DX4R Pro - TLR 22 2.0 & TLR 22-4 - Absima

Team Smallsize
Old 08-03-2011

Quote:
will see how it goes as the durango gear was the easiest option. I cannot see the kyosho drive gear fitting at all to be honest the way the durangos front shaft is arranged.
Old 08-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Remember the ball diff I was telling you about, that was still good as new after a few thousand laps on carpet?

I've been running a month or so now, I would guess about 5000 laps or so, still good as new...... :P

The new 22 uses two more diff balls, which means 14% more surface area, that should mean a lot more solid, and a lot less wear and maintenance!
You're starting to sound like Cramer now, in that episode where he wanted to see how far he could get before filling up the gas tank...

Visit my showroom
Old 11-03-2011
Mad Member

Have you run the car yet with K diffs?

Did you have to modify the Kyosho out drives for the durango shafts to fit in?? The pin is thicker then the kyosho ones so you will need to open up the outdrivs, slots to fit..i wonder about the ball with pin through it as well.. this is bigger and maybe to tight in the outdrive..

Ive tried Durango diffs in the FS2... good but too brutal..pretty straight forward to fit, just make sure all meshing is spot on.
Old 11-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc11 View Post
Have you run the car yet with K diffs?

Did you have to modify the Kyosho out drives for the durango shafts to fit in?? The pin is thicker then the kyosho ones so you will need to open up the outdrivs, slots to fit..i wonder about the ball with pin through it as well.. this is bigger and maybe to tight in the outdrive..

Ive tried Durango diffs in the FS2... good but too brutal..pretty straight forward to fit, just make sure all meshing is spot on.
I only have a K diff in the front.

had a run yesterday, failed within 5 minutes. I couldn't tell you how it handled any differently as the track was blown out from all the rain we have had. Metal bevel gear ate up the kyosho diff gear fairly quick. I dont know if I can fit a kyosho bevel in, as durango setup has a cvd 2cm coming out of gearbox. It sure would be nice to know someone handy with a lathe at this time lol

I used kyosho sp drive shafts, along with kyosho hex.

gear diff in fs2 no good? if you could explain how it handled.....thanks. That just makes me want to make this durango ball diffed even more.