Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 12-03-2017

Default Battery storage help

Hey all, hope your all well?
Last week I brought 2 more set of 2s lipos second hand again but from my local shop and got both for the price of 1 new.
Now my main question I have been using the storage setting on my charger for storing my battery's but he said just charge/discharge to 7.5v need to check what voltage my charger takes it too on storage mode. But what would you say is best?
also my older batteries are 5100mah the newer one are 5800mah he said to set the charger too charge at 5800 and it will be fine for both is this safe?
Thanks
Russell

Last edited by Rustypeb; 12-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2017

Using storage mode on your charge will be fine, it should charge/discharge (depending on the battery voltage) to about 7.4v. I only use the storage mode if the battery hasn't been used since charging. I normally just leave them as they are after the race. Never leave a battery fully charged it will cause it to swell. If you're not going to use the battery for a while putting on storage mode is a good idea. I would set the charge correctly for the battery especially when charging, some battery you can charge at higher than 1c but I've alway charged at 1c. So charge the 5100mah at 5.1A and the 5800mah at 5.8A.
Old 12-03-2017

Thank you, did think it was odd there was a storage mode if it wasn't worth using. Will double check what it charges/discharges too and carry on using if right.
Ok thanks that's fine takes seconds to change the change rate so will charge them according to the battery.
I will (as long as the voltage is right) will carry on using the storage mode and just charge the night before a meeting.
Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2017
Mad Member

If you are well organised with batteries, you'll never use storage mode. As when you finish your evenings driving, all the batteries will be discharged.

Also not the best idea leaving batteries fully charged for any length of time. Best of leaving your charger at the top of your kit box and starting it up as soon as you arrive.
By the time you've got the rest of your kit out, helped set the track up, had a bit of a chat and fixed the bits you forgot to do during the week the battery will be charged and ready to go.
Old 14-03-2017

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

Same as everyone else says if you make sure all the batteries have been used before you leave then you'll be ok unless you are storing them long term,
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Old 15-03-2017

Thanks for all the replies, organisation unless work or my animals is rubbish at best so will carry on using the storage mode to be safe and just charge as close to the race/meeting as possible